Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whoaaaaa 1999 for the medium line of that unit. I paid $800 and 23 for the harness. I did the install myself. I even jumpered the unit so that I only have to ground the mute wire along with the ebrake wire. You should look on Avic411.com. That site has everything from hacks to installs and map wiring for certain cars. Anyhow I got it all set up and working..

Ooppps forgot to mention I have the f90bt. So its one up on the f900bt. Slightly more powerfuyl, Power amp outputs and ipod cable comes with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
The bypass on the Avic and I have it running is the following:

You take the mute wire which is originally in the "1" position, you then lift the plastic tab of where its inserted into, pull the wire out, then place it into the 4 position on the bottom, it should be in between 2 black wires. You then ground the newly placed mute wire, the parking brake wire onto the same main ground of the radio. I used a splicer to the main ground I then added a wire and used a female/male disconnect that connects the mute and the parking brake wire to this newly introduced ground splice.

Here are the two forums where I got this information:

AVIC411.com :: View topic - AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide)
AVIC411.com :: View topic - Software mod "bypass" confirmed - Put away your wi

Also you will need to load the new firmware which speeds up the load time of the unit. I also did this and notice a speed up of the unit at boot time

After that you manipulate the software inside the configuration file on the unit to a new value. The default value is 16 and I changed it to 128. This value sets the speed at which you can enter locations, select poi's while you are moving.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The bypass on the Avic and I have it running is the following:

You take the mute wire which is originally in the "1" position, you then lift the plastic tab of where its inserted into, pull the wire out, then place it into the 4 position on the bottom, it should be in between 2 black wires. You then ground the newly placed mute wire, the parking brake wire onto the same main ground of the radio. I used a splicer to the main ground I then added a wire and used a female/male disconnect that connects the mute and the parking brake wire to this newly introduced ground splice.

Here are the two forums where I got this information:

AVIC411.com :: View topic - AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide)
AVIC411.com :: View topic - Software mod "bypass" confirmed - Put away your wi

Also you will need to load the new firmware which speeds up the load time of the unit. I also did this and notice a speed up of the unit at boot time

After that you manipulate the software inside the configuration file on the unit to a new value. The default value is 16 and I changed it to 128. This value sets the speed at which you can enter locations, select poi's while you are moving.

You either need to relocated the mute wire, ground that and the parking brake

OR

ground the parking brake, and do the config changes. YOU DON'T have to do both the mute and the parking brake ground if you change the config file.

The config file alone eliminates the need for the mute wire relocation and grounding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have to disagree with the boot times. They are always about 1-2 minutes long. That is the nature of this beast and they aren't going to get any better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all. We have about 5 units in stock right now and they're going for $749, plus $20 shipping. If anyone is interested call us at 305-232-0100. We bought a bunch of units last month in order to receive other offers from Pioneer, so we are charging $20 over cost plus shipping. let us know if we can help fellow Smarties!

Jeff
www.totalautoprotection.com
305-232-0100
First of all which unit are you talking about? The F700BT or the F90BT?

Since you aren't a supporting vendor I have no problem telling you that you can get the F90BT on EBAY for $700 shipped. I don't see how $20.00 over cost for you is $749.00. Are you trying to pull a fast one?

I got my F90BT for $620.00 shipped with a 10% off coupon from EBAY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Y dont u have a stereo shop bypass it for u so that u dont have to pull over to put a destionation in. it will also enable u to watch movie and motion and direct dialing with the touch screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Y dont u have a stereo shop bypass it for u so that u dont have to pull over to put a destionation in. it will also enable u to watch movie and motion and direct dialing with the touch screen. one thing is it no legal but who cares its convenient so if you find a shop that does bypass do it if not go on avic-411.com and they will show to bypass it ur self

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just watched the Youtube video of the new 2.0 Firmware update. It records the time for bootup, and it is significantly faster now. However, it says it takes just over 1 minute for the bluetooth to hook up. Is that what you guys are experiencing?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a 700BT in my tC, which will eventually find it's way into a smart.

I just recently did the 2.0 update and was surprised to find that the claims are true...but not by much. I had already changed my eventsounds to something shorter so it reacted to screen presses faster than OE already. The update did help boot time, tho'....
AVI movies on SD card (mine is class6, but not officially supported) are damn near perfect.
System reset clears contact list, so you have to re-transfer your phonebook.

Bottom line: RECOMMENDED! Just make sure you print out directions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Y dont u have a stereo shop bypass it for u so that u dont have to pull over to put a destionation in. it will also enable u to watch movie and motion and direct dialing with the touch screen. one thing is it no legal but who cares its convenient so if you find a shop that does bypass do it if not go on avic-411.com and they will show to bypass it ur self
so do want to pay for the tix that people get for bypassed video. i bet not. if people want to do it they will. the small mom and pop shops don't care. so when someone watching a vid plow's into one of Ur family members and they don't survive. will u still post that. the features are there from the manufactures for a reason. YOUR SAFETY. bypass it if you want. when something happens i told you so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you point me at a reference that describes or shows where the parking brake wire is? I find one diagram but it requires pulling up all of the carpet. Is there someone who knows a convenient place to clip on to the parking brake wire that originates in the dash?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I had the dealer install a AVIC-F900BT. It came with Bluetooth for my I-Phone, Backup Camera for backing out at the store, Sirius Radio for those long trips, GPS since I don't like asking for Directions and a DVD player when you want to go to your car at lunch and watch a movie. I love it. I think it really adds to the smart experience. With the adapter it fits well into the dash. It's one of the first things people see when they look at the dash, and I really think it makes a good impression on people. I would recommend it for everyone. You just have to remember to put the parking break on to set the destination. It took me two hours of trying to add my home address and then I gave up and read the instructions. RTFM, Read The Freakin Manual. One problem, the radio doesn't work with the I-phone plugged in to the USB slot even though they say it will. I read where the I-phone wont work when you upgrade to I-phone 2.0. I hope Pioneer will come out with a patch. The Manual doesn't say it works with the I-phone, but pioneer's web page does.
The Old iphone

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you point me at a reference that describes or shows where the parking brake wire is? I find one diagram but it requires pulling up all of the carpet. Is there someone who knows a convenient place to clip on to the parking brake wire that originates in the dash?

avic411.com you'll find everything you need.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i posted pics in a thread below. grab it at the ebreak or in the main harness running in the center of the car. there are a TON of brown wires in that harness. it takes awhile to find the break wire. there will be a wire running up to the dash cluster. try to find it there and grab that. i always tag it at the ebrake. its easy after you done 100 smarts or so

21 - 40 of 44 Posts