Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been gifted with a 2009 Passion Cabriolet with an engine that was welded solid by being towed behind an RV while apparently in gear.

My wife has a lot of trouble walking and we have nearly ten acres of rocky property, so I got a wild idea to turn it into a kind of off road capable luxury golf cart that could still be street legal.

I'm an old mechanic, so replacing the engine and clutch doesn't scare me, other than how much it will hurt. Did I mention OLD mechanic? I've also bought the Daystar lift kit and will replace fasteners as needed.

I'm trying to figure out suitable tires. I'd like something taller and more all-terrain suitable while still being street legal and fitting the stock wheels.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And having posted that, I've discovered that if I can't buy tall skinny all terrain tires, I can likely cautiously regroove the existing low-profile tires to work better off-pavement. I'm sure they will be noisier and not very suitable for extended high-speed travel, but I have other vehicles for that. And let's be clear: Regrooving isn't something for the kids to try at home. It could be really easy to cut into the tire carcass and ruin the tire and cause a fatal wreck. But it might be suitable for this unusual application.

And I'd still much rather have tall skinny all-terrain tires in appropriate sizes.

Let the confusion and dogpiles begin.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,074 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts