Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you have heard, the order placement process has begun and I am more excited to place the order of my Smart Fortwo then I was to see Britney Spears make a fool of herself on the latest MTV Video Music Awards.

While I have yet to receive my invite to confirm and place my order via mysamrtfortwo.com, I am pleased to present you the process at which you will place your order, made available to you by one very helpful SCoA member, Wizco who was lucky enough to receive his login information and nice enough to document the entire step by step process for everyone here at Smart Car of America.

Enjoy!

Step 1: Login in with the appropriate username and password provided to you in an email from Smart USA.

Step 2: Enter your zipcode to verify your initial $99 reservation.

Step 3: Confirm your personal information.

Step 4: Choose your desired model.

see next post...

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 5: Customize your car and select your colors.

Step 6: Chose the option to make your smart fortwo unique.

Step 7: Review your customizations.

Now, just hold your breath and it will arrive at your local dealership ;)

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Neat...thanks for the info SMART and Wizco!

With the exception of the login in screens, looks much like the configurator currently in use at the European Smart sites

M

·
0 Posts
Judging from the choices made in the pictures above, a choice of beige interior does not give you the option of beige leather seats in the comfort package but black leather seats. Seems leather seats are black only. Not sure how that will play out in the beige or red interior. Can anyone confirm this to be the case? It will definitely affect my color choices.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Another great question is, do you have to order the premium package to get the leather. I wanted the leather with the heated seats, but could save money by not having to get "rain sensing wipers" what on earth is that needed for!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well thats a real bummer... and it seems they arent even all leather, the backrest looks like it still the same mesh type of cloth that is on all the seats.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Rain sensing wipers

Another great question is, do you have to order the premium package to get the leather. I wanted the leather with the heated seats, but could save money by not having to get "rain sensing wipers" what on earth is that needed for!
I'm with you, PassionCT. Take out the complexity of having something like that and rely on ones built in instincts...turn them on when it rains!! DUH. I also feel, IMHO, that keeping the headlights on during the day is a total waste of energy. Why make a car small and efficient to get better mileage only to blow some of that gain away by keeping the lights on when you don't need them. I know, I know....the reason for having them on is for safety and better recognition. I personally feel that Smarts will have enough recognition. How far do we go with that one?? Maybe we should have on our 4 way flashers all the time too for better recognition.....that's what I mean. Having the headlights on in the rain, however, is a GOOD thing as visibility IS reduced somewhat. NY has a law to that effect.
I wish we could order any option we wanted rather than having *packages*. Then you won't wind up getting something you don't necessarily want. I guess we should be patient in this first year of entry into the US market, though, and just go with the flow. I was also wondering about the leather seats and other interior colors but that was answered above...hope the answer is bonefide as that is what I will get also...all black leather interior.
Looks like responding to the long awaited email is pretty much a no brainer, though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think the "auto headlights" doesnt mean DRL or daytime running lights, I just think its a light sensor that will automatically turn on the lights at dusk or other dark times. Even though for me thats a compete waste, I think its a good thing. As I cant stand people who dont use their lights whien they are supposed to. Especially when its raining!

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
With the leather seat option, the whole interior is black (like the regular designer black interior).

Yes.
....maybe. Looking at the screen shots posted, the choice for leather shown along with the other 3 interiors, the question is can you choose it at that point?

M

·
0 Posts
With the leather seat option, the whole interior is black (like the regular designer black interior).

Yes.
In Step 5 in the pictures the interior choice is Beige. In step 6 the comfort package says black leather seats, not black interior. The questions would be if the comfort package was selected that a response would come back saying that the Beige interior could not be selected.
I really think that the interior would be Beige and the beige seats would be replaced with black leather. Hopefully someone will go through that and document for all of us. This really affects choices when trying to match interior and exterior. I hope you're wrong on total black interion when choosing the comfort package. Time will tell. My time to choose probably won't be until around Xmas.

M

·
0 Posts
....maybe. Looking at the screen shots posted, the choice for leather shown along with the other 3 interiors, the question is can you choose it at that point?
In step 6 the check box for the comfort package looks the same as the smart premium sound system check box, meaning that it is not grayed out from choosing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Leather Option

I was going by the fact that smart usa does not list any option for leather seats alone, and this quote from the website:

"Leather upgrades are available in the passion models in conjunction with an optional package."

http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-color-selector.aspx

Of course, things change. Might be fun to select leather on the configurator and see what happens....:)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I really think that the interior would be Beige and the beige seats would be replaced with black leather.
On any of the European market configurators (which look identical to the US one), you can select Leather as one of the interior options, and it changes the interior picture to show leather. That interior is all black.

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the seat cushion is all leather, but the seat back is only partly leather (the center portion remains black cloth, as with all the "designer" interiors). There also appear to be leather pockets added to the bottom of each door.

The US leather option may be different, but I doubt it. Best way to know for sure is send an email to smart usa.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ugly Wheels

I cant get over how they look like really cheap hubcaps from Walmart. I'm gonna have to get adjusted to them, HOPEFULLY they will look better in person.
I think they photograph poorly, especially when reduced in size for the configurator. Here's a better picture:

http://www.jposmart.com/

Still not my favorite wheel ever, but perhaps more Target than Walmart...:)

M

·
0 Posts
The US leather option may be different, but I doubt it. Best way to know for sure is send an email to smart usa.
I sent two emails to smart usa with no responses, one on the exact subject (what color will the leather seats be when picking the beige interior) and another one on the $99 reservation on their website. My question/comment to them was that in fairness to delivery of Smarts in 2008 if they can't deliver all that are reserved they should shut down the $99 reservation and open it up when they can meet the demand. People reserving now may not see a Smart until 2010. Hope it is not the case.

·
Agent 86
99 Posts
Beige, red and grey are cloth. Leather is only available in black on the reservation form that I filled out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea from that configurator page the 9 spokes do look really dull. Just 'cause I'm spending 14k doesn't mean its gotta look like it.

...in fairness to delivery of Smarts in 2008 if they can't deliver all that are reserved they should shut down the $99 reservation and open it up when they can meet the demand. People reserving now may not see a Smart until 2010. Hope it is not the case.
Amen. I'm totally with you on that one. It would be total BS to have to wait that long and really terrible business sense.:mad:

1 - 20 of 140 Posts