Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
I Plasti-Dipped my wheels two weeks ago, it's some really cool stuff!

Word of advice though: Most polishes and waxes will damage the Plasti-Dip material. I accidentally got one of the wheels with tire shine and the Plasti-Dip got a bit ruined in that area.

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
Aerosol, the stuff has a huge overspray range so protect the area well.

It's basically matte wrap in a can, the coolest part is that it's easy to clean up mistakes!

How did you do the emblems?!?!?!?

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
How's it protect the painted areas from road rash/chips?
In his application, it only protects that front valence. In my application, all four wheels.

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
Ah, then to fully answer your question, it doesn't do anything for the rest of the front of the car. As I've noticed though, the front valence takes more abuse than the rest of the front...maybe it's only noticable on the body colored valences though...

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
+1 My front end had probably hundreds of bugs on it upon arrival to Red Wing... :D

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
How does it hold up to brake dust? Do you just wash them, no wax? I can't decide whether to go with all Red wheels or Black with Red outer trim. This way I can try both. Also want to see if the Red is close enough to color match my valances and rockers. Should be fun!

I Plasti-Dipped my wheels two weeks ago, it's some really cool stuff!

Word of advice though: Most polishes and waxes will damage the Plasti-Dip material. I accidentally got one of the wheels with tire shine and the Plasti-Dip got a bit ruined in that area.

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
Brake dust? In matte black you won't even notice brake dust. I have to run my finger on the wheel to see it! Seems like it has no effect on longevity. Since you're going red you should be able to see the dust.

As for washing, as long as you apply enough coats (4 will do) an automatic wash with brushes won't harm the finish nor will rocks from the road. Since the finished material is rubber brake dust would just come off with a garden hose!

The spray cans have some interesting overspray effects so protect areas accordingly...cleanup is way too easy in case of a mistake though...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Brake dust? In matte black you won't even notice brake dust. I have to run my finger on the wheel to see it! Seems like it has no effect on longevity. Since you're going red you should be able to see the dust...
On my plastidipped matte black wheels you can see brake dust in the sun, the whole wheel is brown lol!

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
I noticed that as well. I better re-dip before it gets too cold!
Now that my side skirt is now properly attached I don't fear jacking it up :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts