Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Any one have solution/recommendation for putting US license plates on smart w/ license plate hole pattern for european plates? Any plate frame adaptor?
Thanks

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Hi,
Any one have solution/recommendation for putting US license plates on smart w/ license plate hole pattern for european plates? Any plate frame adaptor?
Thanks
Do you currently have a European 450? Otherwise, my guess is that the USA bound 451's will have the proper configuration/adapter for US plates - both front and back. (A MINI adapter, may or maynot help you out depending upon the its physical location and curvature of the grill/bumper, etc relative to the Smart's)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
BMW makes an adapter that is used on the Mini. Any Mini dealership should be able to help you out.
I believe the one you are referring to requires 2 screws into the bumper. The best non-destructive mount that I have seen actually uses the threaded hole where the toe eye screws in (located on the right side of the Smart's front bumper): gominigo.com

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
My state requires a front plate, with a few exceptions (classic, year-of-manufacture, street rods, old timers). I got pulled over once with my Saleen Mustang that did not have a front plate, let off with a warning. So I had to add a plate mount to it as the manufacturer did not offer one.

My smart came from Green Car Co in Kirkland, WA, and they mounted the frames on the car in new holes in the plastic body panels. When I changed to my second body panel set, I had to drill the holes to match, but since they are hidden behind the plate (even a Euro plate), it was not a concern. The holes won't rust ;)

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts