Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the price that one would pay at the lease end?
How do they calculate this price if the car's blue book value is about $25K?
the $7,500 federal incentive is not real money like the $2,500 that California would give you.

·
17,352 Posts
The $12,490 price is after the federal rebate, BAP, and the highest possible state rebate (I forget which state offers the highest).

So it's not the most honest of advertising as you do have to spend the money up front before you get the rebates and the actual price will depend heavily on which state you live in.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The $12,490 price is after the federal rebate, BAP, and the highest possible state rebate (I forget which state offers the highest).

So it's not the most honest of advertising as you do have to spend the money up front before you get the rebates and the actual price will depend heavily on which state you live in.
I'd have to pay about that figure after my lease ends.
If I'd put $3,000 down I'd end up with a $10,000 loan, still is a bigger monthly payment than a monthly payment on leasing.

·
17,352 Posts
Perhaps a coincidence? The smartUSA website is strangely missing disclaimers at the bottom so I have no clue where to find their source for the $12,490 claim.

They may have arranged it so that at lease end it would be $12,490 or if you just bought it new it would be $12,490 after rebates.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the $12,490 buy figure, it will take me 8 years to own the car paying about the monthly amount for the lease. If I lease the car, I'll be like in the middle of the lease on my 3rd car. Now, the problem would be the battery. Can I lease the battery indefinitely and replace it for free when it goes bad if I own the car?

·
17,352 Posts
Yep! The $12,490 purchase figure includes the Battery Assurance Plus program.

·
Registered
462 Posts
$25k

-$7.5k fed tax rebate
-5k Battery Assurance Plus

=$12,500. No state/local rebates included, which means Cali folk can grab it for $10k.

Some dealers were offering 2k off the 25k mark on top of all this for 2013 smart EV purchases, which potentially could kick it down even lower.

Battery Assurance Plus, of course, costs $80 a month. It breaks even with buying the battery after about five years, ignoring the cost of battery maintenance (though standard four year warranty includes the battery).

Personally I don't think BAP is that great of a deal outside of the lease. EV batteries are pretty solid nowadays, as long as you treat it well. Prius batteries do pretty well and the smart tech is much better. However, most people would still save a lot of money by going with BAP because smart is a really low cost EV.

Can I lease the battery indefinitely and replace it for free when it goes bad if I own the car?
It's capped at 10 years. I am not sure if you have to buy the battery at that point, or if they give it to you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
$25k

-$7.5k fed tax rebate

=$12,500. No state/local rebates included, which means Cali folk can grab it for $10k.

Some dealers were offering 2k off the 25k mark on top of all this for 2013 smart EV purchases, which potentially could kick it down even lower.

Battery Assurance Plus, of course, costs $80 a month. It breaks even with buying the battery after about five years, ignoring the cost of battery maintenance (though standard four year warranty includes the battery).

Personally I don't think BAP is that great of a deal outside of the lease. EV batteries are pretty solid nowadays, as long as you treat it well. Prius batteries do pretty well and the smart tech is much better. However, most people would still save a lot of money by going with BAP because smart is a really low cost EV.

It's capped at 10 years. I am not sure if you have to buy the battery at that point, or if they give it to you.
As far as the EV battery goes ... while it's true on the older hybrids where the battery is not really 'stressed' like a Prius before they went plug-in that they tended to last a very long time, one older Prius had close to 300K miles w/o much of any battery degradation, not so with a modern EV, the tech is simply not that good yet; on others that are 100% EV's they can loose their capacity to fully charge over time, just like the battery in your cell phone or laptop. The BAP is an attempt to not have the consumer 'worry' on how much their battery would cost to be replaced if it failed ... perhaps much more than an engine rebuild (at current prices) and perhaps not. If one did opt to pay the BAP over 10 years that equates to a LOT of money and how much longer would/could you keep the car with a new battery that one could assume you'll start yet another monthly BAP on that new battery ... the payments would never 'end' ... for those who lease cars that doesn't matter but for those of us who perhaps keep our cars much longer I simply don't like it but may be forced to once my LEAF finally dies (we bought it and did not lease it). I've pretty much been a cash buyer (have only leased 2 cars; both were very low interest short-term ones; a 2 year and a 3 year) and would simply set aside the funds to replace the battery if Nissan would ever sell one to me ... which they won't currently.

As an aside, it's nice that CA allows leases for their rebates as IL only offers a 10% rebate (up to $4K) on outright purchased EV's. The Tesla 'lease' gets a pass as it's a disguised 'loan' but forget about these great smart Ed lease deals for a state level rebate here ...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$25k

-$7.5k fed tax rebate

Wow! This is a really good deal! A Smart ForTwo electric car for $10K is a steal.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts