Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having problem that now everytime I start the car I see the ESP light in the Dash, I need wheels alignment now because I changed one of the ball joints and now I need to change one of the front bearings (waiting it to change it next week) beacause is making sound, but I scanned the car in the shop to see the ESP light and saw these Steering Angle sensor codes, do u think they are because the front bearing and the alignment or could be something else ?
After change the bearing I will go to do the alignment.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Hi I am having problem that now everytime I start the car I see the ESP light in the Dash, I need wheels alignment now because I changed one of the ball joints and now I need to change one of the front bearings (waiting it to change it next week) beacause is making sound, but I scanned the car in the shop to see the ESP light and saw these Steering Angle sensor codes, do u think they are because the front bearing and the alignment or could be something else ?
After change the bearing I will go to do the alignment.

Thank you in advance!
Looks to me like you have an issue with the steering angle sensor, which has nothing to do with a ball joint, tie rod, or wheel bearing.
The steering angle sensor is on the steering column, inside the car. I know there have been a few reports over the years of them going bad. Not an easy or cheap fix. Have to remove the steering column if I remember correctly. And MB dealership has to reprogram and calibrate it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to me like you have an issue with the steering angle sensor, which has nothing to do with a ball joint, tie rod, or wheel bearing.
The steering angle sensor is on the steering column, inside the car. I know there have been a few reports over the years of them going bad. Not an easy or cheap fix. Have to remove the steering column if I remember correctly. And MB dealership has to reprogram and calibrate it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Yes that is my big fear, my mechanic guy told me that maybe with alignment and then calibrate it again with the scanner could fix it, my steering wheel right now is not aligned after the change of the ball joint.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The yaw sensor and steering clock spring are integrally linked. It sounds like one or the other is out of calibration. It’s an easy fix with a MB star machine -less than 5 minutes. Once the yaw sensor is calibrated, the system will detect the steering angle sensor is out of whack and prompt the operator to do the calibration on that too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes. A Star Machine is Mercedes Benz’s diagnostic tool. Think of it as an OBD2 scanner on steroids. It’s a computer-based interface that connects to the car’s computer for programming, diagnostics and repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts