Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you ED drivers have neglected to close the charge cap, but I've forgotten at least 5 times since I got the ED.

The location is fine, I guess, but I would like to have had it on the drivers' side. This being said Nissan Leaf owners have it on the nose and down low which is good if you like to park nose in at every parking spot. And all Ford Focus EV, Hybrid, and Chevy Spark EV owners have it on the drivers' side but in front of the door. I believe Tesla S plug is on the back left, pretty far back from the rear left door. It's practically in the left taillight.

Do you care where the Plug port is?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't know how many of you ED drivers have neglected to close the charge cap, but I've forgotten at least 5 times since I got the ED.

The location is fine, I guess, but I would like to have had it on the drivers' side. This being said Nissan Leaf owners have it on the nose and down low which is good if you like to park nose in at every parking spot. And all Ford Focus EV, Hybrid, and Chevy Spark EV owners have it on the drivers' side but in front of the door. I believe Tesla S plug is on the back left, pretty far back from the rear left door. It's practically in the left taillight.

Do you care where the Plug port is?
I have never understood why a car would have the re-fueling port on the right side. Good thing that the ED cannot move without removing the charging plug, if not, many of us would have damaged the charging plug already. I rather have it on the driver side. I always have to go around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually not once forgotten to remove the plug, but in putting it away I forget to close the plug port door. I've driven many miles before realizing that I look like a blinking moron.

Now I always check the right-side rear view before departing. I am definitely looking forward to the day of induction charging. There may be more hassle to re-fueling than ICE right now, but with induction there will be almost no hassle (especially at home).

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like where is. Almost all my other vehicles have had it in the same location, so I'm use to it. Fortunately, the Smart is short enough that any cable should reach no matter the orientation.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Don't really see how you could forget to close it especially if you had just unplugged the charger.

Have no problem with the spot its in, i like the electric port way more than the smelly gas port.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't really see how you could forget to close it especially if you had just unplugged the charger.

Have no problem with the spot its in, i like the electric port way more than the smelly gas port.
I've forgotten at least half a dozen times. It's not like when you're at the pump and you have to wait for it to spit out your receipt; unplug and go.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have never forgotten once yet but I do these steps:

1-) I remove the plug with my right hand and at the same time I close the port with my left hand. (I hear the snap)
2-) I remove the extension from the outlet on the wall and put the extension and the plug together inside the car, close the door and go.

By the way, I leave the charger inside the car and I use a 25' 12AWG power cord extension. I charge with level 1 fast only.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never forgotten once yet but I do these steps:

1-) I remove the plug with my right hand and at the same time I close the port with my left hand. (I hear the snap)
2-) I remove the extension from the outlet on the wall and put the extension and the plug together inside the car, close the door and go.

By the way, I leave the charger inside the car and I use a 25' 12AWG power cord extension. I charge with level 1 fast only.
Good thought. I think I will attempt this from now on. I would always get distracted by something else I was doing after putting the cord away and that's how I would forget to close the door. But if I close the door immediately after removing the plug, I think I will save myself the embarrassment of driving with "my fly down". :p

·
Registered
646 Posts
I left it open once, and drove off like that. After that, I am much more aware or checking it. I tried to drive off once when the 240v charger was still plugged into the car. Luckily, the Smart ED won't let you make that mistake, it won't move if the charger is connected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a reason for the plug location, all German cars have the fuel filler on the passenger side so if you run out of fuel on the highway you can refuel in relative safety away from the road. Though that is meaningless for us, no reason for smart to incur the cost to move it from where it is on the ICE version.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Jabellas is right, the Germans have a thing about having to stand on the left side of your car if you run out of gas, while traffic is whizzing by on the Autobahn at high speeds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jabellas is right, the Germans have a thing about having to stand on the left side of your car if you run out of gas, while traffic is whizzing by on the Autobahn at high speeds.
I don't blame anyone, Germans or otherwise for not wanting to stand on the traffic side for any reason on a road.

In Silicon Valley, Freeway 85 was memorialized to California Highway Patrol officer Scott Greenly when we was struck and killed by a motorist, while he was standing on the road side (1998).

CHP Officer Mourned By Thousands / Scott Greenly was hit by motorist on traffic stop - SFGate

Still hoping for the Induction Charging idea... if not a different plug port

1 - 12 of 12 Posts