Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not recharge my Smart ED last night, and had only 80 km of range showing on the dash when I turned on the car. Unfortunately, I forgot that I was taking my son to a birthday party which was 85km round trip on a 30C day, and would be using air conditioning (for him, not me).

So I looked at plugshare.com and found a few EVSE locations within a few km of my destination. Unfortunately, the first one I went to didn't work with my Smart ED. This is the first time I've experienced that, however, the EVSE location was marked "better place", which is a bankrupt company, so perhaps the charger only works with the corporate LEAF that was parked in the next space.

I then went to the second choice, a Nissan dealer to see if I could "beg" for a charge. I was immediately pounced on by a representative who directed me to try the Mercedes dealer which was close by. I outlined that the Nissan charger was listed on plugshare.com, but he insisted the MB dealer sold Smart ED, and he'd seen them driving around.

So, off I drove about 1km to the MB / Smart dealership. They seemed completely surprised and the fourth person I talked to finally was able to direct me to the charger. It was in the service area, not marked, and completely inaccessible to anything but a Smart ED. Once again, having the skinniest car sold in North America pays off!!

Charged for one hour and had enough juice to comfortably run the AC and not worry about kickdown on the drive home. Arrived in the driveway just as the 20% state of charge "reserve battery" warning came on the dash display. I LOVE MY SMART ED!!

I added the EVSE to the plugshare list, but cautioned agaist using it unless it was a last resort. No other car could have used this charger on this day. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's alittle disappointing that it took you a few try's to get a charge. At our local MB/ Smart dealership the chargers are right out front.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
That's alittle disappointing that it took you a few try's to get a charge.
If your M-B/smart Center is "ED trained," the (Canadian) "experience" described by SE may not be atypical of that seen stateside, YMMV?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Nissan dealer near us doesn't have a problem with the L2 connection as long as we sit with the car and move it when they need to use it. Most of the people visiting use their Chademo plug though and there is sometimes a line for that.

I have not had any trouble finding public locations with plugshare. There are several very nice free and paid locations around ATL that I have committed to memory.

Parkwood Point parking lot near my house:

My office:

Atlantic Station:

Peachy ATL Airport Indoor EV Parking:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone tried a private/residential PlugShare location (EV J1772 or 120V)? I'm curious how the experience was... how the owner of the charge point handled the situation... Were they inviting or not while you were charging? Did you just take a stroll in the neighborhood wait in or next to your car for an 1+ hrs? Did they expect a tip or cash for the service (I assume most would be free)?

I've personally never utilized the PlugShare private/residential locations, so I'm curious what type of experiences people have good or not...

Personally, I'm on the fence about whether or not I should register my 7.2kW J1772 charge station as a private/residential PlugShare location. If you've registered yours feel free to share your experiences as the provider to people who need a charge.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Has anyone tried a private/residential PlugShare location (EV J1772 or 120V)?
Haven't used one (yet), but had someone use mine. Rather nice fellow from Canada driving his family back from NYC in a Tesla model S. They had stopped in Syracuse on the way down (night in a hotel to charge and take in the city), and stopped in Rochester on the way home to do similar. The local Hyatt was supposed to have their EVSE hooked up by then, but hadn't quite gotten around to it. They offered a 120 line, but clearly that would not cut it.

He texted me through the site, I called, we talked and arranged to meet at my place and get him plugged in. I figured it would be an overnight charge (my ED could go 2 or 3 days without a charge), so I gave him a lift back to his hotel. He and his family came the next morning in a hotel shuttle, said hello, packed up and headed home.

He offered money for the electric, which I politely declined. He also offered taking it for a spin, but I'd already done so in another Tesla at one of the EV meet-ups, so I declined that as well. Overall it was an enjoyable experience. He even left a positive review on my plug share listing. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
In Palo Alto, CA just East of Stanford University, there's a fellow who has an EVSE at the curb in front of his house. It's completely free. He's a big advocate and is one of the people who managed to get the city to pass an ordinance to require that all new structures in Palo Alto must be EVSE-ready.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My neighbours put their EVSE up on plugshare. In fact, there are 10 EVSE's within 5 km of my house listed on plugshare, 9 of which are private, only 1 is public. Of the private list, two of them are Tesla Model S chargers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
there's a fellow who has an EVSE at the curb in front of his house.
This seems like a very thoughtful/kind thing to do for other EV owners... but I can't help but wonder how long it will take before someone on PlugShare reports a vandalism or theft of their charge station cable/equipment. This is really the only thing that kept me from installing my level 2 charge station outdoors.

There are people out there who will steal copper wire from new housing developments as well as properties that are in foreclosure or vacant while on the market. What's to keep them from cutting the heavy gauge copper cables from charge stations both private and publicly owned? Even more, thieves can utilize the charge station locator app(s) making it easy to find charge stations to exploit.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
In Palo Alto, CA just East of Stanford University, there's a fellow who has an EVSE at the curb in front of his house.
Palo Alto, CA should be commended for passage on September 27, 2013 of a new mandate that requires all new homes within the city limits now must include wiring for EV charger installation as standard, making it easier than ever for local residents to make the switch from gasoline to electric fuel. :bigthumbup:

City of Palo Alto Mandates That All New Homes Come EV-Ready | PluginCars.com

http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civicax/filebank/documents/37623

While understanding the need for a more robust EVSE PlugShare network, not sure about a PUBLIC EVSE "residential" plug out front at the curb?

This may be appealing to the local male dogs, but the tree hugging liberal neighbors and homeowners association may not be feeling the love for that "look" in their hoity-toity Palo Alto neighborhood? :shrug:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have mine listed on plugshare but there are 14 places listed within a mile of our house people could go instead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Happened to me a different dealer, couldn't get close to the evse as ice cars were blocking it. So I bought an extension cord (J1772 connectors) and carry it in a bag behind my driver's seat. No more blocked evse!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have my EVSE listed on Plugshare but nobody has ever called to use it. There are lots and lots of public chargers nearby, including a free, solar-powered charger at the nearby recycling center so I imagine that's where people in dire need are going for a charge.

I imagine that the residential chargers are more utilized in areas where the public infrastructure is not very well built up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am also on Plugshare for over one year. So far only one person has used it and that was just to try it out. Since I never know if I will be desperate away from home it only makes sense to offer other people mine. I never know when if or when I'll be needing it. So far automobile dealers have been extremely generous and I have charged at 5 or more manufacturer's dealers while traveling the past year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
...I can't help but wonder how long it will take before someone on PlugShare reports a vandalism or theft of their charge station cable/equipment.
Admittedly, I have not listed my L2 EVSE on PlugShare, but it's not because I don't want to share. My wife would not be happy if some random EV driver pulled into our driveway and began charging (if I wasn't there). And if I was there, my car would be in that spot.

However, I installed my EVSE on the inside of a shed on the side of my house, with only the line coiled up on the outside.

https://plus.google.com/117553802566356457361/posts/ct9QpetupSE

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife wasn't too thrilled either but I was able to specify 'call first'. Ours is a 33x100' lot. A house, driveway, house, driveway type of city street. Our box is mounted on the side of the house, centered in the middle of our driveway right next to the cars in the driveway. 25 foot cord which reaches past my parked card, can reach 3 cars to charge them if parked bumper to bumper, more if they are Smart Cars!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I fixed this by not listing the house number of my house. :) You can give an intersection, or your zip+4, which puts you within a few hundred feet for most people. That kind of forces the "call first" setup, since without calling, they're not likely to find the right house, short of cruising around looking for an EVSE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts