Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the 451, auction values stayed close to blue book for quite some time...

the 453 only being less than a year old, auction prices already less than half retail price... doesn't look well for trading the car in or selling... curious if MBUSA will slow down imports due to poor sales and value.

·
17,478 Posts
Darn...that's a killer deal...like absurd! Any in Illinois?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
It links to a $11,700 car that is a used stick-shift model, with a year gone from warranty. Since it's used, there is no 0% APR up to 72 months, and a new one is $4k higher in price if you get $1,000 discount on it based on current incentives...

Plus, you'd be the 2nd owner and your car would potentially be worth less when you want to transfer it over to the next buyer who asks about its past history... That car has had a couple major repairs for such low mileage... Don't know why and may never know...

A good deal for some, yes, but it's not a no-brainer deal by any means...

·
17,478 Posts
Plus like, 90% of this country can't drive stick lol

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts

the 453 only being less than a year old, auction prices already less than half retail price... doesn't look well for trading the car in or selling... curious if MBUSA will slow down imports due to poor sales and value.

You're playing games again. Anybody attending those auctions needs licenses. Those are not retail sales prices, they are auctions on used cars for whatever reason. You have a license to access information like that, if that's the case you can look up plenty of other makes and models and pull "lower than book" values on them.

Many of those cars have been repossessed, may be insurance claims, damaged, in disrepair, etc,. Which then will add to the eventual cost. And again, you'll need a dealers license for those vehicles. Are you here to mislead people? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts

So much misinformation being spewed here . . .

Please better define "auction values" vs. "Blue Book" value - Dealer Trade, Cash Offer or Private Party Sale?

Economics 101 - Supply & Demand of the 453 will drive dealer inventory levels and obviously MBUSA will adjust their shipments as necessary.

As Mister_smart_LA points out, "auction value" means little to the RETAIL car buying public. Some "as is where is" cars go to auction for sometimes subtle reasons that may take some digging to identify, let the AUCTION buyer beware!

Without a license and bid number, these prices mean nothing . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So much misinformation being spewed here . . .

Please better define "auction values" vs. "Blue Book" value - Dealer Trade, Cash Offer or Private Party Sale?

Economics 101 - Supply & Demand of the 453 will drive dealer inventory levels and obviously MBUSA will adjust their shipments as necessary.

As Mister_smart_LA points out, "auction value" means little to the RETAIL car buying public. Some "as is where is" cars go to auction for sometimes subtle reasons that may take some digging to identify, let the AUCTION buyer beware!

Without a license and bid number, these prices mean nothing . . . :shrug:
dealers use "black book" to decide prices they pay for trades.

black book=mannheim auction values

if mannheim auction values are 8600-11k.. then that is what your vehicle is worth on trade unless they up your trade and take less of a discount or have incredible profit built into the new purchase.

mannheim values, whether you can see them or not is 100% what your trade in value is based on, and is VERY relevant.

that being said, considering i have numerous 453's it's just a shame they didnt keep value better... the 451's stayed above 10 until they got high miles or 3 years old and lease turn in's hurt black book.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Only quoting you wherein your basis was Blue Book?

dealers use "black book" to decide prices they pay for trades.

... considering i have numerous 453's it's just a shame they didnt keep value better... the 451's stayed above 10 until they got high miles or 3 years old and lease turn in's hurt black book.
I am familiar with both Black Book and Mannheim.

Yes, sucks that you have several 453's that if memory serves me, were bought at a discount off window sticker.

But that is the risk one takes with a new model and car resale "value?"

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would guess that the auction prices of all small, fuel efficient, cars are dropping in the US right now. Gas prices are low and when that happens trucks and SUVs are what people buy and so they are what car dealers are willing to bid higher on at the auctions. On top of this car dealers don't like to sit on their inventory for long periods of time. So if small cars aren't selling well dealers will get rid of them by selling them at auction which increases the number of small cars up for sale at auction and that lowers the price even further. None of this means that the retail price of small cars has dropped very much though.

This is a typical market response to a specific situation and says nothing about any car in particular. If oil prices shoot up tomorrow small cars, including smarts, will start selling at higher rates shortly there after. Since car manufacturers are having to deal with CAFE standards it is very doubtful that they will eliminate small cars from their line ups even though they aren't currently selling very well. They need small, fuel efficient cars to be able to sell big gas guzzlers amd they are fully aware of the fact that at some point gas prices will rise again.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
It continues to amaze me how folks whine about new car depreciation... :bangwall: Buying a new car is a losing proposition no matter how you look at it. Taxes, tags, insurance, etc. A new car is a giant black hole in your wallet. Part of the reason I no longer buy new cars.

The smart will always lose out. It's a small, low volume, niche vehicle with limited sales potenetial. You buy it because you like the car, not to make money, or even break even. Anybody who goes into a new car purchase with any expectation but to lose money is fooling themselves... But, that is the society we live in today. Everything is disposable, cars included. Most folks only keep a vehicle for 3-4 years. They don't even wear out a set of tires!!!

I take the opposite approach. Mileage is a badge of honor. I like to see how long can keep a vehicle running well, and looking nice. My lowest mileage vehicle has 140K+ miles on it! Doesn't bother me. I will finish a 3 month long restoation on it this weekend. When I'm done, it will probably turn as many, if not more heads than my smart does. I'll drive it for the next 5-6 years at least, and keep it running like I do with all of my vehicles. And I don't worry about depreciation..

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Speaking of plummeting values... how much should I ask for my '16 Prime, white/white, 6K miles, automatic, brand-new condition, in San Diego? Available in December.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts