Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parking officers using environmentally and economically sound Smart cars in pilot project

At 6-foot-4, things get a bit squishy for parking officer Otimoi Oyemu in his division's new Smart car.

His knees protrude eight centimetres above the bottom of the steering wheel. He can easily place one hand on the windshield and the other on the back window. And to reach the police radio, Oyemu has to twist his chest into the passenger seat to get around his own leg.

Despite the tight squeeze, Oyemu says he enjoys zipping around town in the Smart cars

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

In a pilot program to reduce its environmental (and physical) footprint on the streets of Toronto, the city's police department has added a quartet of new vehicles to its fleet. A pair of Honda Civic Hybrids are joined by a pair of smart fortwo diesels, which will be used for parking enforcement purposes in lieu of larger cars that drink more fuel and are more difficult to maneuver and park in the urban environment. The Toronto Police Services' smarts, as seen above, may well be the least intimidating police-liveried vehicles...ever. And that includes the Cushman golf carts NYPD uses (or used) in some situations.

·
Registered
182 Posts

In a pilot program to reduce its environmental (and physical) footprint on the streets of Toronto, the city's police department has added a quartet of new vehicles to its fleet. A pair of Honda Civic Hybrids are joined by a pair of smart fortwo diesels, which will be used for parking enforcement purposes in lieu of larger cars that drink more fuel and are more difficult to maneuver and park in the urban environment. The Toronto Police Services' smarts, as seen above, may well be the least intimidating police-liveried vehicles...ever. And that includes the Cushman golf carts NYPD uses (or used) in some situations.
What? No lights on top? I want a full bevy of blue flashing lights. The article calls them the least intimidating police vehicles, and since they are diesel 450s, I would have to agree. On the other hand, they are targeting parked cars, so they are a little closer matched than one would think :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I saw fourfours used as police cars in Europe.

I guess if a fourtwo is used, the perp simply has to run along behind.

·
Registered
659 Posts
At 6-foot-4, things get a bit squishy for parking officer Otimoi Oyemu in his division's new Smart car.

His knees protrude eight centimetres above the bottom of the steering wheel. He can easily place one hand on the windshield and the other on the back window. And to reach the police radio, Oyemu has to twist his chest into the passenger seat to get around his own leg.

Despite the tight squeeze, Oyemu says he enjoys zipping around town in the Smart cars
Does anyone else think this account is a bit EXAGGERATED?!?! I mean, JEEZ! I am 6' 5-1/2", 250lbs and I don't have to reach around my leg for anything except to tie my shoes and wipe my.... (which I don't do in my car, enough said)! This dude must have limbs like ET if his legs are that much in the way!! :nuts:

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Your question raises the oh-so-prevalent and so much relevant issue of the differences of internal dimensions between the 450 and the 451. Anyone's experience? Besides the one at hand. :p

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
Since they're using this for parking enforcement (no high speed chase scenario :D), why didn't they just go with Neighborhood Electric Vehicles? :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Depends on if the Parking Enforcement Officer is regular police, or a seperate non-sworn division like Dayton's. The electric car wouldn't cut it for a regular officer in an emergency.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone else think this account is a bit EXAGGERATED?!?! I mean, JEEZ! I am 6' 5-1/2", 250lbs and I don't have to reach around my leg for anything except to tie my shoes and wipe my.... (which I don't do in my car, enough said)! This dude must have limbs like ET if his legs are that much in the way!! :nuts:
I totally agree. I was thinking about the guy we had come into the showroom who was 6-9 and actually fit quite well into the car. I think this is drastically overstated. And if you want to prove me wrong I will need pictures. In most respects the smart has a larger cabin than many of todays SUVs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why does the media HATE the smart?

I have to add my voice to the chorus. I'm 6'4" and feel like I have all the room in the world in my smart. It seems like the media and auto reviewers are tripping all over themselves to say negative things about the smart. Finally a small, fuel efficient car comes along and is a magnificent success in sales and the press backlash is bewilderingly negative. If I were a conspiracy theorist I would suspect the Big (literally) Three of trying to keep Americans in love with their gas guzzling, planet suffocating monster trucks. They didn't bash the Mini Cooper like this and it has considerably less interior room. The difference: it gets terrible mileage and does not pose an efficiency advantage over other vehicles. If you read the forum it is entirely apparent that smart owners are in love with their cars, even the many who have had warranty claims. If you went by the reviews you wouldn't guess that anybody could stand to drive the thing.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I like the "To SERVE & Protect". Mattel (Hot Wheels) did that on a toy police car a few years back and it was changed to "To PROTECT & Serve". Because the priority is Protect first.

I could see parking enforcement using the Chevy Beat if it ever comes in the US.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
My question is, do they let the officers park perpendicular?
around here, officers park 'wherever they want, whenever they want' :rolleyes:

I like the "To SERVE & Protect". Mattel (Hot Wheels) did that on a toy police car a few years back and it was changed to "To PROTECT & Serve". Because the priority is Protect first.

I could see parking enforcement using the Chevy Beat if it ever comes in the US.
we just had a story from Monroe County (Bloomington Indiana) that the Sherriffs Dept had bought 3 PRIUS' for the Sherriff, Deputy and a Process Server, to save money on fuel. guess they're painted just like the Crown Vic's or Impalas they have. sorry, can't take a cop, pulling me over in a PRIUS, seriously........:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Next Round of Media Bashing

This just in from MSN news:

...Your mileage may vary; ours did, with an average of four fewer mpg than the EPA’s combined number. Given that the Fortwo is the slowest-accelerating passenger vehicle in the country (say a Hail Mary before merging onto a freeway), a lead foot, with a resulting impact in fuel economy, is practically a safety requirement.

Oh Brother! Come on! Is this even true? I can't believe that this is the slowest vehicle in the country. Has anybody else heard this? For example, aren't there some VW diesels that make the smart look like a race car? And it would appear that most people in the forum get better than advertised mpg, not worse. I am starting to believe that these so-called reporters just sit at their desks and make this stuff up, based loosely on other negative reviews.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Fairfax County VA police smarts and a bike story

Howdy all.
I heard on local news radio that my local PD (Fairfax County, VA) was going to put 10 smarts on the road within the next 2 months.
Funny thing is, I work at the local dealer and we haven't heard anything at all?

I think a smart police car is a great idea (OK, not for a high speed chase).

Also, last week I was in downtown Wash DC and saw a guy in a Porsche (don't know what model) that had been pulled over by a DC cop on a bike. Not a motorcycle, on a real BICYCLE? I guess the guy forgot that he had a GAS PEDAL? How embarassing?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This just in from MSN news:

...Your mileage may vary; ours did, with an average of four fewer mpg than the EPA’s combined number. Given that the Fortwo is the slowest-accelerating passenger vehicle in the country (say a Hail Mary before merging onto a freeway), a lead foot, with a resulting impact in fuel economy, is practically a safety requirement.

Oh Brother! Come on! Is this even true? I can't believe that this is the slowest vehicle in the country. Has anybody else heard this? For example, aren't there some VW diesels that make the smart look like a race car? And it would appear that most people in the forum get better than advertised mpg, not worse. I am starting to believe that these so-called reporters just sit at their desks and make this stuff up, based loosely on other negative reviews.
OFF TOPIC...:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts