1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

Here is what we have going on here! :)

We have:

1. Unboxing of a box and unboxing what is in that box.

2. Very long series of videos installing the Polk Audio MM651 coaxial speakers using a method not seen in pictures or video or recommended by anybody on the forum!

3. Review after a week of listening to the speakers and allowing them to "warm-up" a bit and to allow myself to listen to a variety of different music pieces.

I hope you all enjoy the videos! This was a fun Sunday project! :D

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
I must be watching too much MTV - 7 minutes and there's still stuff in the box? Just get on with it! :D

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
So, you got them installed? How's the sound?

I almost kinda sorta wish I'd done an unboxing of my JBLs, heh. But, I took delivery at my workplace and there's no way I could wait until I got home to take a look.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll cover how they sound in the third installment of the videos.

The next three videos will be up by tonight. They are up on YouTube, but I have to finish annotations and the description. Be warned though...all three videos total about 40 minutes long, but the dialogue and seeing how we did it makes the time go fast.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Full disclosure - I've never installed speakers in a smart or watched anyone do it. However, my first reaction is there's a reason no one has ever used this method before... my father would have called this the "get a bigger hammer" approach. Is it really easier/faster than removing the door skin? :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,858 Posts
Is it really easier/faster than removing the door skin? :)
Ditto to JW's full disclosure . . .

The videos did come with a warning :D from smartcar111 - "Very long series of videos installing the Polk Audio MM651 coaxial speakers using a method not seen in pictures or video or recommended by anybody on the forum!"

I will be upgrading my speakers within the next few weeks. The inside panel approach was a consideration but after viewing the rather lengthy search and destroy mission, think I will be removing the door skins.

Thanks to smartcar111 for taking the time to video the installation and sharing it on the Forum.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Full disclosure - I've never installed speakers in a smart or watched anyone do it. However, my first reaction is there's a reason no one has ever used this method before... my father would have called this the "get a bigger hammer" approach. Is it really easier/faster than removing the door skin? :)

No hammer is needed... He just didn't cut (snip) the center of the frame out and then reach in and remove the 4 screws that held the speaker to the door panel... When I did mine, I was not in a race to get it done... It went vary smooth...
I would note that because the smart is such a door slammer & ruff rider, that just using screws into the plastic may come loose after awhile... I used nut clips, and thread locker on mine because I could see that with My Magnets being twice as big I knew there would be a problem if they weren't secured properly with a door slammer like the Smart...

I found that Bret's videos will be vary helpful to other members that will do a speaker mod like this... Everybody will do the mod in there own way, but its good to see the tools needed to do it...

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, if you look at the time it took to do the different steps, it would be quicker to do it this way. First off, you don't have to worry about removing the mirror and the door handle and then worry about the clips in the door and trying to put all of that back together or not. We had the driver's side speaker out in less than ten minutes. For some people, those first ten minutes would be spent taking the door panel off which might be frustrating or confusing. Also, the video was longer than it would have been if we had everything else ready to go like wiring the speakers and wrapping the crossover in the Shamwow. The other procedures like lining up the speaker and drilling the pilot holes would be required for a speaker installation anyway no matter which method you chose to rid yourself of the factory speakers.

If you take all of the above into consideration, it would be much quicker and easier than going through the outside panel.

Brabus007, that is also a good method (to cut out the center). We used what we felt at the time was a good choice because there wasn't any real method to go by on the forums for people that have done it that way.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,858 Posts
. . . and wrapping the crossover in the Shamwow.
Did notice that you wrapped your crossover in the latest ShamWow vibration dampening technology! :rolleyes:

While in a perfect world the inside of the door will never be wet, I would be concerned that the ShamWow could attract moisture and create a potentially humid environment for the crossover?

smartcar111 sez - "Hopefully, since the system is marine certified" sounds like you are protected by ShamWow!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If water would get into the door, the Shamwow would absorb the water and not allow the water to get inside the crossover because it would be absorbed by the Shamwow. The Shamwow also allows the crossover to not vibrate in the door. Hopefully, since the system is marine certified, the crossovers are as well just in case water get into the door and overpowers the Shamwow, the crossovers would be fine.

Then again, that's all speculation. If the crossovers do get destroyed by moisture somehow, I'll just replace the crossovers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts