Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Of course we must take this poll in the spirit that it was meant - solely to see what early preferences there are amongst us. Has anyone gone on a test drive with the leather seats and interior?

As far as swapping panels go, I would like to see a live demonstration before I would consider that as a viable option to change colors periodically.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I agree

Of course we must take this poll in the spirit that it was meant - solely to see what early preferences there are amongst us. Has anyone gone on a test drive with the leather seats and interior?

As far as swapping panels go, I would like to see a live demonstration before I would consider that as a viable option to change colors periodically.
The manner in which it is changed might not be in the best interests of the body sealing mechanisms, for example, or the fit may not be there either. Like all replacements front fenders for a 66 Mustang are NOT alike...depends on where they were made and by whom.
So I too would like to see what is involved with that process.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My understanding is the 450 body panel change was a bit of a pain. I understand MB redesigned the quantity and location of the fasteners on the 451 line to make changes easier.

Lots of folks seem to get a second set of the plain black panels and have a local painter redo them in what ever color they want. For some reason hot pink is very popular with British female Smart owners

While in Germany earlier this year, I saw hundreds of variations. In many cities I saw whole fleets for things like pizza delivery. Sort of cool seeing 2 deep by 4 wide parking in front of a pizza house. When a driver came out to leave, he just jumped into the one in front and zoomed off.

Some were awful gawdy (think "max bling" rhinestone studded (yuck)) but many were just too cool to describe... I did not take a camera and the Gvmt cell phone was not equipped with one.... pity too, because I saw some intriguing color combinations and graphics

I think what caught my eye the most were the wheel variations. While the steel stamped wheels have their own minimalist appeal. Most owners obviously had a LOT of cash in wheels and tires. Most of the time with a 3 lug to 5 lug adapter. It appeared to be popular to color match the disk caliper, inner parts of the wheels, and spoilers to the body panels OR tridion color

Curiously most of the tridions were Gloss Black

Edited in...I am sorry I forgot the reason for the post..... Of all the cars I saw and more importantly the one I drove--- interior colors never made any impact on me. I can not tell you what the colors were in the one I drove or any of the very cool Smarts I walked around and drooled over... The interior just did not catch my attention. I think because all the combinations just looked good...red, black, beige/tan interiors all seemed to contrast well in all the cars I paid attention to.

I did like the black leather...but that is just me...I do not like cloth interiors...I like leather no matter what color (well except white too hard to keep clean)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Going with leather ...

because the cloth seats appeared to be very prone to staining. May not be as bad with the darker colors but leather typically is more durable in the long run. We saw the beige seats on the tour smart cars and they didn't look to good ... it was a hot day and a lot of folks took the advantage of the free bottled water on their trips and the seats showed water stains already. If they offered a gray leather would go for that but black is OK ...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Panel Swapping and Tan Leather

IMHO tan leather almost always looks like vinyl (unless it's Armani) and panel-swapping? Sheesh, I'll be lucky if I can get my Smart washed regularly!

That's it! Swap dirty panels for clean ones...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a question about black cloth. On the smartusa.com website there is a little asterisk on the color page saying all black interiors are not available on us models. What do they exactly mean by that?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Back in the old days, not all that long ago, automobile interiors were available in as many colors as the exteriors (think '57 Chevy!). Over last the few decades color choices on all but the highest priced cars have been pretty much reduced to gray/charcoal. black or beige. Boring! :rolleyes: So I ordered red. Give me some color in a car with a great personality! :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am going with the red, too. Not a colour I would normally choose but I think it will look great with the white/silver tridion combo. Never owned a white car, either, but I think it looks great on the Smart :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I want beige leather

I want a leather interior, but am not willing to live with a totally black interior in a cabrio (way too hot). So I ordered beige cloth for a lighter shade interior and heated seats. When I take delivery I will take it to a trim shop and have the seats recovered in leather to match the rest of the beige interior trim. Problem solved.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I want a leather interior, but am not willing to live with a totally black interior in a cabrio (way too hot). So I ordered beige cloth for a lighter shade interior and heated seats. When I take delivery I will take it to a trim shop and have the seats recovered in leather to match the rest of the beige interior trim. Problem solved.
Will this effect the function of your heated seats?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
There are a few suppliers in Europe that have re-cover kits in just about any cloth or leather color combination and they take custom orders.... prices for both seats seem to be in the 300~400 dollar range... I will see if I can find the link and post it later... These are kits with the sewn covers and attaching hardware (hog rings?)

There are several aftermarket companies that sell electric heater pads that are not hard to retrofit into the seat bottoms and backs...they are a bit pricey. I have added them in before and they work great no matter what the material they are under. I would assume that ALL Passion Smarts will have the electrical connector there if or if not you order with heated seats... at least my last few trucks and cars from 2000 up seem to be wired for all options. The excess connectors are just taped away or plugged into dummy plugs.

I have had cloth seats recovered to leather here locally for around $150 per seat (after my wife and I botched it due to sewing machine that can not deal the heavy leather)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts