Smart Car of America Forum banner

Who installed the screen with their Fumoto oil drain?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of those members who installed the qwik-drain oil valve, I'm curious who installed the screen and who didn't. Personally, I didn't . (I decided that I was more concerned about potential loose epoxy and/ or plastic fragments than I was about the lack of a screen.)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I bought one from Uptown Dog, and was shocked to find it had no screen and we were expected to some how remove the old screen and attach it to the new valve.

I can't change my own oil anymore and asking my oil change guy to go through the hassle of changing out that screen was a bit much.

I have never used it and would not have bought it had I known. :( A2Jack.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The screen pops off the old plug pretty easy. It's just a press fit over a mushroom head on the back of the plug.
Thanks, I know that it comes off easily. I was hesitant to install it in the valve since that has to be done with epoxy.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

"Instructions are included to simply and easily remove the screen from your existing plug and secure it to the Qwik Drain."

http://www.shop.uptowndogcompany.com/Fumoto-FG7BN-Qwik-Drain-110.htm

Appears that IF the smart/Mitsu "slip fit" screen were (without epoxy) to fall off the Fumoto it would remain in the unique tube enclosure at the bottom of the oil pan and could be easily retrieved without harm to the engine?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Chumly is probably right. At I hope so since that was my rationalization for going ahead with the installation without using the screen.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks, I know that it comes off easily. I was hesitant to install it in the valve since that has to be done with epoxy.
Never had JB Weld loosen up or flake in the most nasty heat conditions. Sealed a hot water leak from a flange on a Subaru engine that ran normally at 4400 rpm for over 7 years. Not a drop came out.

The screen is easy to slip off and the JB Weld is impervious to almost anything. A2Jack, you have to learn to be a little more adventurous and not let simple jobs like this shock you.:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Never had JB Weld loosen up or flake in the most nasty heat conditions. Sealed a hot water leak from a flange on a Subaru engine that ran normally at 4400 rpm for over 7 years. Not a drop came out.

The screen is easy to slip off and the JB Weld is impervious to almost anything. A2Jack, you have to learn to be a little more adventurous and not let simple jobs like this shock you.:D
Dog the shock was, You didn't tell us it came with NO Screen. Are you still shipping them that way ?

Quick change oil guys and MB techs are not adventurous. A2Jack

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never had JB Weld loosen up or flake in the most nasty heat conditions.
Thanks Dog. I would have put in the screen with the epoxy, had it been a new screen. I doubted that I could clean off all the oil residue from my used screen to the point where I'd be pretty certain that the epoxy would stick to it. Hence the no screen installation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the whole purpose of the drain is to not worry about stripping the threads in the pan by not removing it then what good is the screen going to do? If it does get clogged up then I think you are in worse shape. And like Chumly said if you have stuff big enough to get in the screen you got bigger problems.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
After removing an oil bottle foil seal and some jelly like plastic from the screen when I removed it to install the valve, I decided to epoxy the screen to the fumoto valve. The foil seal is another reason to perform one's own oil change. I am NEVER that careless when doing maintenance on my vehicle.
JB weld is known for it's strength and hardness as well as heat resistance, even for repairing cracks in engine blocks, and then can be machined, so I felt comfortable in using it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It looks to me that nothing would go through the screen until you drain the oil seeing that the screen is in that tube in the oil pan. Why filter oil that is being drained anyway? Chumly

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is there oil being circulated through the screen while the engine is running? From the look of it on the bottom of the pan, I can't see its function

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Is there oil being circulated through the screen while the engine is running? From the look of it on the bottom of the pan, I can't see its function
As has been previously stated, the screen is the intake screen for the engine oil pump. The oil pump pick-up is cast into the oil pan directly above the screen such that oil in the oil pan is drawn through the screen into the pump.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Instead of epoxy, here's another possibility...Find a very light weight compression spring that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the plastic ring at the end of the screen, don't know what length is needed at the moment ??
Anyhow, once length is determined slide the spring into the hole first (the hole at the end of the bore is smaller than the bore where the screen rests, so the spring will not go on into the oil pan) install the screen and last, screw in your "easy drain" drain plug...finished..:wink:
If you do your measuring correctly the spring should apply slight pressure against the screen and hold it against the screw in drain plug....
This way you don't have to worry about epoxy flaking off or other debris going thru your oil pump and all pieces are easily removable for cleaning and inspection...But who wants to do that if you have the "easy drain" drain plug???
Wasn't that the purpose of the "easy drain" plug in the first place... So ya don't have to take it out???:rolleyes:

Or, go without the screen and forget about it ...:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Which Fumoto valve is it? Unfortunately, Uptown Dog is out of them and won't be restocking them, and I'd like to get one. The Fumoto web site doesn't list Smart, and their updated list of applications doesn't list Smart either.
Thanks,
Bob

1 - 20 of 55 Posts