Smart Car of America Forum banner

How likely are you to come to the 2013 SMART Nationals?

• Try to stop me from coming!

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • I'm sitting on a very wobbly fence with my SMARTIE.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • I'm staying home, no National for me!

Votes: 17 19.8%
121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cruise control

Doesn't the cruise control cause some issue where you have to turn off the engine then restart it again? I saw this happen to a guy in our caravan. Wonder what that was?

I've created a signup sheet for cruise control purchases and/or installations at the Nationals event! Please do us all a favor and spread the word to anyone that might be interested who may not see this post. A limited number of units may be available at the show, but the price will be higher than if they are signed up, so save them some money and help them find this link!

SmartieParts 2013 Nationals: SmartieParts 2013 Nationals Cruise Control Signup

Please let me know if there are any problems with the signup form. Note that phone numbers are required and I ask that, if possible, it be a cell number where you can be reached at the event. This is in the case that there needs to be any last minute shuffling of timeslots at the event. If there's anyone that does not want to put a phone number, then please just put 555-555-5555.

Thanks everyone!

- Steven

·
Registered
322 Posts
Weight trailers can pull

Just thinking...the weight of the Smart Car, and let's say 2 people whose combined weight is 500 lbs, then the weight of the cargo and trailer. Is it feasibly possible to pull that kinda weight at all in a Smart?

I went by the weight listed in the specifications for each trailer. The general consensus that I've seen here on SCOA is that the top weight we should pull with our smarts is 800lbs. I think that's high. Jim and I prefer to keep the weight to no more than 600lbs.

At 500 - 600lbs the smart knew the camper was behind it but was able to pull the weight easily. We did loose about 5 mpg at Interstate speeds. Going up hills on I-70 coming into Colorado from Kansas we also lost about 10 mph. I didnt want to push the car too hard or I probably could have kept that to 5mph.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
"Technically" the car should be able to pull the trailer. However, as you have pointed out, adding in the weight of cargo and people will affect how much can be towed. I don't own a trailer, so I can only go by what other people have experienced.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Just thinking...the weight of the Smart Car, and let's say 2 people whose combined weight is 500 lbs, then the weight of the cargo and trailer. Is it feasibly possible to pull that kinda weight at all in a Smart?
It is feasible to pull that kind of weight. Luckily our combined weight is way less than 500lbs. We also keep the trailer weight as low as we can. I'm guessing that it is never more than 500 for the camper and less than 400 when we pull the tag-a-long. As I've said our smart has not had any problems pulling either of them. We've had the Tag-A-Long since summer of 2010 and pulled it to Colorado, Iowa, South Carolina, 2 trips to Outsmarting the Dragon. Plus to Texas when we moved here. We've pulled the TimeOut camper to Colorado and Iowa.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
We may have an option for those people who want to attend the Convention, but can't drive out for whatever reason. There is a good chance of rental smarts being available during the convention. So, I have put a link on the homepage where you can put your name down as being interested. At this point there is no guarantee, but there is a very strong possibility it will happen. So tell everyone that this is their chance to attend, with or without their smartie! Tell your friends to join in on the fun as well, they will get to see what it is like to join up with a bunch of smart owners...

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Are you joining the St. Louis caravan? :)
I hadn't given it much thought until you asked. :eek:

One problem: it looks like the caravan departs St. Louis on the 9th.
My Westin reservation starts the 9th as I plan to be in Colorado by then.

Still something to consider.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hadn't given it much thought until you asked. :eek:

One problem: it looks like the caravan departs St. Louis on the 9th.
My Westin reservation starts the 9th as I plan to be in Colorado by then.

Still something to consider.
You know, you can just drive straight through to Westminster instead of staying overnight in Salina OR you could change up your reservation at the Westin to come in on the 10th and come party with us :cheers:, I'm sure you shouldn't get penalized for it by changing it this far ahead.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
About 2 months to go for the Nationals!

I hope everyone has a great and safe time getting there. I cannot go on vacation in July as it is a Television Ratings period at my and every other local news station across the country. (That is why the first Nationals was planned in June)

I'll be looking for pictures!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
About 2 months to go for the Nationals!

I hope everyone has a great and safe time getting there. I cannot go on vacation in July as it is a Television Ratings period at my and every other local news station across the country. (That is why the first Nationals was planned in June)

I'll be looking for pictures!
Sorry you won't be able to attend. There most certainly will be pictures! There should be rentals available, should you want to fly out for the weekend though...:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Odds improve if they're informed a few days before the event. Make their job easier, give them a tip.
Will most certainly will be tipping them off about the event! This is the sort of thing they like for their local coverage. So long as the Rockies aren't on some sort of a big time winning streak, we should be able to get someone to cover the event!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
We will be there by a month late. Don't plan to get there until mid August.
I am conducting a poll to determine potentially how many people we have coming to the SMART Nationals in 2013. The organizers want to be sure we plan for enough people, but try to avoid planning for too many. Please let me know if you are at this time planning on coming out to Colorado for the SMART Nationals.

Poll has been reopened!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Just got flight and hotel reservations. Waiting to hear back from Car2Go about special pricing for the weekend?
Looking forward to it.

Wish I could take the time to drive out in my 08 cabrio that has served me faithfully for over 5 years, but I don't want my job to find out they can live without me?

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Area 451 cruise control deal reminder

Just want to mention again that Stephen will be installing Area 451 cruise controls at the Nationals for half price - an incredible deal and, since I believe he is clearing out his remaining stock, this may be your last chance to get this cruise control for the 451 smart. :wink:

121 - 140 of 164 Posts