Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some insight on why my smart is only getting between 32-35 mpg. Mostly hwy have monitored fuel over the past 6 months have tried watching foot and can only manage 35mpg. In North Dakota so everything is pretty flat. I was getting 46-48mpg about a year ago. Nothing has changed, no check engine lights, air filter is clean, same oil, non ethanol gas.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
NDSMART,
Looking at my first 2008, my current 2009 and a 2015 window sticker and my actual rock solid 36 mpg your Current mileage of 35 mpg is right in the ballpark.
How or why your smart got got such high mileage before is a mystery, but the mileage seems to be correct now.
Paper Subcompact car

·
Registered
2008 Smart ForTwo Coupe
16 Posts
I am getting 30 MPG (7.8 L/100KM) all round, but driving the car very near to its limit 80% (e.g. shifting at 4K) of time. The garage, where I took the car told me that usually most people get around 6 l/100km (around 39 MPG) with these cars but that is without A/C.
Not sure that these cars are designed for fuel economy :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am getting 30 MPG (7.8 L/100KM) all round, but driving the car very near to its limit 80% (e.g. shifting at 4K) of time. The garage, where I took the car told me that usually most people get around 6 l/100km (around 39 MPG) with these cars but that is without A/C.
Not sure that these cars are designed for fuel economy :)
There was a time when I looked at every gallon my smart(s) would get mpg-wise. I would find out ways to squeeze better mpgs, like what oil, what gas, what spark plugs, what ideal speed. All part of the euphoria of driving a niche car. Then my (blue) Pure died. On my subsequent smarts, I just didn't care anymore. Moral of the story: Don't miss the forest for the trees. Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can someone give me some insight on why my smart is only getting between 32-35 mpg. Mostly hwy have monitored fuel over the past 6 months have tried watching foot and can only manage 35mpg. In North Dakota so everything is pretty flat. I was getting 46-48mpg about a year ago. Nothing has changed, no check engine lights, air filter is clean, same oil, non ethanol gas.
Which smart car?453 or 451? Are you using the same gas pump? Maybe they changed out the filler nozzles and the fuel shutoff is not repeatable----which happened here in Phoenix. There are new FMVSS regulations on filler neck specs for new cars---re ford Mustangs have no gas caps! So the tube to the gas tank has some design changes for safety. There is something in my smart car tube that is preventing a easy fillup!! When figured out how to bypass this, I could easily fill the tank without the typical drizzle required to fill up. Land rover has the same problem. Take for ever to fill to full! These typical changes in design happen when ever. So, the folks that make the gs pump nozzles for gas stations may not be aware when these changes happen. The one design change didn't consider the problems of a pump nozzle the is too short in length to make fillingup easier.Now the EPA gets their two cents in with their regulations on evaporate rates during fillup!

!

·
Registered
343 Posts
What method did you use too come up with the lost of MPG

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Which smart car?453 or 451? Are you using the same gas pump? Maybe they changed out the filler nozzles and the fuel shutoff is not repeatable----which happened here in Phoenix. There are new FMVSS regulations on filler neck specs for new cars---re ford Mustangs have no gas caps! So the tube to the gas tank has some design changes for safety. There is something in my smart car tube that is preventing a easy fillup!! When figured out how to bypass this, I could easily fill the tank without the typical drizzle required to fill up. Land rover has the same problem. Take for ever to fill to full! These typical changes in design happen when ever. So, the folks that make the gs pump nozzles for gas stations may not be aware when these changes happen. The one design change didn't consider the problems of a pump nozzle the is too short in length to make fillingup easier.Now the EPA gets their two cents in with their regulations on evaporate rates during fillup!
What method did you use too come up with the lost of MPG
I don't know if NDSMART will reply. It has been over a year since he has been active on the forum.

Richard,
Our old 2009 Ford Escape our 2017 Ford Escape and our 2018 Buick Encore,
None have or were offer with gas caps.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Stairs Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if NDSMART will reply. It has been over a year since he has been active on the forum.

Richard,
Our old 2009 Ford Escape our 2017 Ford Escape and our 2018 Buick Encore,
None have or were offer with gas caps.
I used the Ford extended filler funnel adapter, Made by Dorman. using this, I filled the tank to overflowing to ensure tank tank was full. Then I drove until the low fuel lite came on (at 1.2gallons until empty) then i drove about 20 miles wile on empty.Make it to gas station then and put 10.1 gallons in the car at 460.1 miles. (using Dorman filler funnel) I am comfortable and believe I was filling the tank with the identical amount of fuel using this method. Before, you could never know if the tank was actually full! I experienced filling the car, then waiting several minutes and the car would take another 1.5 gallons!! Impossible to verify mpg because of this unknown!! When refueling to verify mpg, you couldn't know how much fuel you actually started with . If a car mpg is at about 45mpg, a 1.5 gallon error after about 200 miles makes a huge difference of 57mpg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Calculating fuel economy. The method should be tank to tank fill up. Average mileage, not Instant.
Calculating fuel economy. The method should be tank to tank fill up. Average mileage, not Instant.
My experience, tank to tank fillup does not work!! Because gas pumps typically shut off at different fill levels. My car, as much as 1.5 gallons! go 200 miles, refill. big error if the car takes less than the previous fillup!! Possible solution, buy a ultra gauge, fuel use is measured off ecu fuel flow etc. Or, figure out how to eliminate the error in shutoff points at different gas pumps & the error in how full is full!! Then, how acurate is your odometer? Check speedo using a gps for accuracy. Thirdly, gas formula is changed between winter and summer!! different burn rates!! " Reed vapor pressure number" There are stc's allowing use of auto fuel in aircraft certified by an STC for a specific aircraft." Supplemental Type Certificate "Wrong formulation, aircraft engine can quit in flight due to vaper lock!! I have had this happen! Car gas was out of the stc spec. Not an issue for cars!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts