Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some insight on why my smart is only getting between 32-35 mpg. Mostly hwy have monitored fuel over the past 6 months have tried watching foot and can only manage 35mpg. In North Dakota so everything is pretty flat. I was getting 46-48mpg about a year ago. Nothing has changed, no check engine lights, air filter is clean, same oil, non ethanol gas.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
What year smart car. What octane fuel. Are you figuring average fuel economy? Tank to tank? Or we’re going on a instead one? Getting those high numbers? The 451 fuel economy is around this.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2008 smart, I do 99% highway 62miles one way. 270 miles to a tank. Speed at 65-70 91octane non ethanol is all you can find up here.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Those fuel economy number l
2008 smart, I do 99% highway 62miles one way. 270 miles to a tank. Speed at 65-70 91octane non ethanol is all you can find up here.
Those fuel economy numbers are from my 2008 smart car window sticker. I would average around 35-37 mpg highway. Once I got 43 mpg, using 93 octane.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Running the air conditioner will lower MPG, other than 93octane will lower MPG, running with under
inflated tire will lower MPG. How long since you ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank?? How
long since you changed spark plugs?? Scanned for trouble coded??

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
^^^^^^ ditto above comment. How many miles do you have on your smart car? High mileage vehicles fuel Economy, will drop.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
NDSMART,
Looking at my first 2008, my current 2009 and a 2015 window sticker and my actual rock solid 36 mpg your Current mileage of 35 mpg is right in the ballpark.
How or why your smart got got such high mileage before is a mystery, but the mileage seems to be correct now.
Paper Subcompact car

·
Registered
2008 Smart ForTwo Coupe
16 Posts
I am getting 30 MPG (7.8 L/100KM) all round, but driving the car very near to its limit 80% (e.g. shifting at 4K) of time. The garage, where I took the car told me that usually most people get around 6 l/100km (around 39 MPG) with these cars but that is without A/C.
Not sure that these cars are designed for fuel economy :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am getting 30 MPG (7.8 L/100KM) all round, but driving the car very near to its limit 80% (e.g. shifting at 4K) of time. The garage, where I took the car told me that usually most people get around 6 l/100km (around 39 MPG) with these cars but that is without A/C.
Not sure that these cars are designed for fuel economy :)
There was a time when I looked at every gallon my smart(s) would get mpg-wise. I would find out ways to squeeze better mpgs, like what oil, what gas, what spark plugs, what ideal speed. All part of the euphoria of driving a niche car. Then my (blue) Pure died. On my subsequent smarts, I just didn't care anymore. Moral of the story: Don't miss the forest for the trees. Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, my first 3 tanks with my '08 451 with 25,000 miles is returning 33-36 mpg's average. That is 70% city driving in SoCal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts