Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
There's always trade-offs, and in this case it's pollution. Recent developments have mostly brought diesel particulates under control, but NOx has still got everyone stumped.
Not quite true. Cummins in the last years (and I am sure others) have become DOC/SCR compliant. The SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) uses urea (ammonia) which combines with NO2 after passing through a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst). It practically eliminates NOx, producing carbon dioxide and water in the process. The major drawback is price and complexity.

This video is a humerous rendition of "how easy" it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my Passion two weeks ago. I was aware that the mileage would not be great since I am used to getting 52-54 with my 2005 Prius. Will never let go of my Prius -- really only got the Smart to pull behind our RV and to just have fun with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just bought my Passion two weeks ago. I was aware that the mileage would not be great since I am used to getting 52-54 with my 2005 Prius. Will never let go of my Prius -- really only got the Smart to pull behind our RV and to just have fun with.
You're my kind of a guy. I also have an 05 Prius and bought a Pure 2 weeks ago also. I'm averaging 48 in my Prius and 1st tank of gas in Pure I got 35mpg. I drive conservatively and hoping to get better mpg. With this heat wave, I'm running my A/C all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just filled up and I averaged almost 45 mpg...and that was running errands with zero highway driving...very nice. I am happy and nicely surprised! We have a first generation Honda Insight that gets 60+ mpg in good weather...50-55 mpg in not so good! Our mini-van...18 mpg. We got the smart because it is a well made, absolutely adorable car...the mileage is a bonus and still much cheaper to fill up than most other vehicles!!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You're my kind of a guy. I also have an 05 Prius and bought a Pure 2 weeks ago also. I'm averaging 48 in my Prius and 1st tank of gas in Pure I got 35mpg. I drive conservatively and hoping to get better mpg. With this heat wave, I'm running my A/C all the time.
Smart ~"Ain't No Prius"~ Yes, your going to spend more time at the Gas Station... Sucks premium to...

·
17,384 Posts
Smart ~"Ain't No Prius"~ Yes, your going to spend more time at the Gas Station... Sucks premium to...
Yep yep, if you're just looking for fuel economy, there are better choices out there than out little 451s!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was pretty shocked to see that my 2015 Passion is getting only about 30 MPG! Comments here in this forum tell me to be patient, the mileage will improve. My 2010 consistently got 38 - 42 MPG.

Current odometer 1,882

Average length of trip 20 miles
Highway or in-town combo
If highway how fast you drive 70 on hwy
Type of fuel, straight gas or gas + ethanol straight gas
Octane of gas 93
How heavy is you foot? moderate. no jack rabbit startshttp://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f130/poor-fuel-mileage-36981/#

·
17,384 Posts
This winter is particularly hard on my smart too. I'm barely able to get 39 mpg, and that was my winter average!!!

Reactions: klesmiley

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I was pretty shocked to see that my 2015 Passion is getting only about 30 MPG! Comments here in this forum tell me to be patient, the mileage will improve. My 2010 consistently got 38 - 42 MPG.

Current odometer 1,882

Average length of trip 20 miles
Highway or in-town combo
If highway how fast you drive 70 on hwy
Octane of gas 93
How heavy is you foot? moderate. no jack rabbit startshttp://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f130/poor-fuel-mileage-36981/#
Hey Kathy! When did you get a 2015?

They tend to loosen up after about 5000 miles. That, plus the winter gas tends to kill the mileage. Shorter trips don't help either because the engine never truely gets warmed up.

I just cross 170K on my smart, and I'm still getting about 40 in the winter & 43-45 in the summer...:D

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
Comments here in this forum tell me to be patient, the mileage will improve.

Yes, be patient grasshopper . . .

Don't forget the IMPACT (a 2-8% drop in fuel economy) of winter blend fuel. Gas doesn’t like to vaporize at colder temperatures so oil companies change the gasoline blend differently for cold weather markets.

Add to that . . .

More Idling - people will leave their cars running more to keep warm, thus burning more gas.

Lower Tire Pressure - for every 1 PSI that your tires drop in pressure you will lose about 0.4% in Fuel economy.

Lower Engine Temperatures - reaching ideal engine temperature can use more fuel as the engine adds fuel to the air/fuel mixture.

Higher Oil & Lubricant Viscosity - takes more energy to pump through the engine and transmission.

Higher Electrical Usage - lights are on longer because it gets darker earlier. Add to that window defrosters, bun (seat) warmers and heated mirrors.

Note, the windshield defroster will cause the A/C compressor to turn on in order to dehumidify the air!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Greg,

I got the 2015 in October. Almost 4 years to the day of getting the 2010! It's a nice car.

I miss seeing you! I had hoped that Sunny was going to get some rally's going for us. He's busy too. Everyone is.

Sorry to hear about no IMS this year! That was always a fun get together.

Maybe we'll see you at the April Fool's Rally in Ohio? Or the "Meet Me in St. Louis" Rally in St. Louis?

Keep racking up the miles on WhiteNBlack.

And here she is: Muffin Too!

Kathy

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, be patient grasshopper . . .
Lower Engine Temperatures - reaching ideal engine temperature can use more fuel as the engine adds fuel to the air/fuel mixture.
My engine is running about 185 F max according to my ScanGauge which seems low to me. The 2010 ran a lot hotter than that. Usually over 200 F.

·
Registered
271 Posts
with lower temps my 13 will run a lot cooler in the winter. Love the new Muffin and cant wait to see you guys. If you always fill up at the same station try switching for a tank or two. I have gotten a few bad tanks of gas along the way.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hi Greg,

I got the 2015 in October. Almost 4 years to the day of getting the 2010! It's a nice car.

I miss seeing you! I had hoped that Sunny was going to get some rally's going for us. He's busy too. Everyone is.

Sorry to hear about no IMS this year! That was always a fun get together.

Maybe we'll see you at the April Fool's Rally in Ohio? Or the "Meet Me in St. Louis" Rally in St. Louis?

Keep racking up the miles on WhiteNBlack.

And here she is: Muffin Too!

Kathy

Awesome! Being busy is an understatement. With work and the kids schedule, it doesn't leave time for much else... The odd weekends I get off, I'm trying to get to a few shows with my truck, or doing work around the house...

Who knows, maybe I will get a chance to get to a smart event this year.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 of us guys drove a guy nuts at work when he got a new VW he checked his MPG all the time. And would Bragg about it to us. What he did not know is each day one of us would put 3-4 gallons into his gastank when he left it in the parking lot. We did this for about a month until he went in for service. We stopped doing it and he was on the phone all the time ranting and raving at the dealer for changing something on his car or taking off the secret Canadian carburetor.... We never did tell him what we did.............. Was fun just watching him come unglued the madder he got the more we enjoyed it. Sometimes revenge is sweet. He was the same guy that liked to steal everyones lunch from the icebox at work
now thats some funny ****:D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did something like that to the wife. She bought a little fish tank for her desk at work one friday. She worked for friends of mine so we went in and looked at the tank and then went out and bought 1 extra fish and put it in. Monday she calls me and says, 'something weird happened' I have an extra fish!

Hmmm I say that's odd, did the fish have babies?

NO! And this one is bigger!

Oh, that's odd, were a couple stuck together when you bought them?

NO! I am positive I only bought 4 and now I have 5!!!!

Oh ok, that is weird, is anyone missing a fish?

So she sends a company wide email asking if anyone has lost a fish.....

We finally had to confess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had any problems with the mileage? I've had gradual reduction in mileage for awhile now. I took the car to the San Antonio dealership and had it's first service done and told them about the mileage. They gave it it's first new car service although I only had 4500 miles on it. They claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. After two more tanks I'm still only getting about 30 to 32 mpg. Really ticks me off.

We're located on the gulf coast of Texas meaning it's about a 3 hour drive so it's not that easy to take it back. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake purchasing this car.

Anyone have any other ideas what to look for. Doesn't seem to do any good to take it to the dealer so thought I'd maybe do a little research myself.
I have the same problem, 28 mpg, for my 2016 smart, I got 40 mpg with same driving style and area for 2015 smart. The dealership in Laguna Nigel, CA is unable and unwilling to fix the problem or give me a replacement.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts