Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been driving our 2016 Smart for just over a year now - it's our second Smart, and we continue to be happy with it in just about every way. EXCEPT gas mileage. Over a year it's been averaging under 30 mpg - a little worse in the summer time when the air conditioning runs a lot. I asked about this when I took it in for its annual checkup and got nods but not too much sympathy. When I pressed it, they suggested that I switch to name-brand gasoline. I don't think going over from Kroger to Shell is going to make this look good, though. Check my gauge when I filled up just now at 25.2 mpg.

This is almost entirely city driving, short trips, so I'm not expecting miracles. But this seems substandard, and it's embarrassing when people ask me what kind of great mileage I get with that little thing. Do most of you feel this is normal? I'm certainly not getting much support from the dealer. If it's typical, I'll let it go ... mileage isn't the main reason I love the Smart. But if it's enough out of line that there ought to be a solution, then I'd like to pursue it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I have found that since these cars have Mobil 1 oil in them, they don't start wearing in until around 30,000 miles. Seems like once you hit that magic mark, MPG tends to improve.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If it's pure city driving with AC and you make use of the turbo, your mileage will be low but I would expect it to be in the low 30s though. Mine averages between the upper 30s to mid 40s, depending on AC use at hottest Summer temps. I do use Shell Premium almost exclusively and have about 17K miles on mine. I have not noticed any increase in mpg through those miles.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
We've been driving our 2016 Smart for just over a year now... Over a year it's been averaging under 30 mpg - a little worse in the summer... just now at 25.2 mpg.

This is almost entirely city driving, short trips... Do most of you feel this is normal?

Yes, it's normal. My 453 could get mid-40s during steady freeway cruising, but would get no better than mid- to upper-20s in short urban driving.

Welcome to the world of turbocharging.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I have found that since these cars have Mobil 1 oil in them, they don't start wearing in until around 30,000 miles. Seems like once you hit that magic mark, MPG tends to improve.

Is your comment based on 453 experience?

The 453 and 451 engines share nothing in common, and drawing parallels without real-world 453 data seems counterintuitive.

My 453's fuel "mood swings" were very different from the more steady appetite of my 451.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>> since these cars have Mobil 1 oil in them, they don't start wearing in until around 30,000 miles. <<

Hmm. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's pure city driving with AC and you make use of the turbo, your mileage will be low but I would expect it to be in the low 30s though. Mine averages between the upper 30s to mid 40s, depending on AC use at hottest Summer temps. I do use Shell Premium almost exclusively and have about 17K miles on mine. I have not noticed any increase in mpg through those miles.
Thanks, Oliver. Is Turbo the "auto" button on the air conditioning? I used it last summer but discontinued doing so because of its impact on mileage. This summer I've avoided it, but as the posted image suggests, it hasn't made much difference. Is there another Turbo option I'm not (yet) aware of?

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
All my cars use synthetic oil. That really doesn't have a bearing on vehicles achieving better fuel economy. At 30k miles??? Modern vehicles true break in is around 5-6k miles. That's when vehicles start to gain their best gas mileage. I've owned enough new cars, in my lifetime.

Your city driving, stop and go, turbo charge engine, and AC function might have to do, with your poor gas mileage. You might want to try a higher octane fuel. Go from 91-93. Is your engine air cleaner, fresh? Lots of factors.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Thanks. I've met Dr. Google, but since I didn't lease the Smart as a high-performance car or had any real expectations along those lines, I came to this forum in the hope of getting some first person testimony from real people who know real stuff ...

Well, in fairness, you asked me to fill you in on a specific topic, and that was the basis for my reply.

I already provided you with "testimony"; see above.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
451's are non-turbocharged engines in North America yielding 70 hp.
453's ARE turbocharged engines yielding 90hp.

Not much more of a simple explanation needed.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
451's are non-turbocharged engines in North America yielding 70 hp.
453's ARE turbocharged engines yielding 90hp.

Not much more of a simple explanation needed.

Actually, more explanation is needed, because the nuances of turbocharged fuel-efficiency versus performance is more tricky than just comparing horsepower between a turbo and non-turbo engine.

Turbocharging allows for higher performance from a lower displacement engine, but with greater susceptibility for using more fuel if not driven under optimal conditions. Manufacturers have turned to turbocharging in order to meet specific fuel economy standards, but with the downside of returning a lower average fuel economy in ordinary driving.

Please refer to the article that I previously linked in this thread for a more in-depth discussion.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just to make sure, when you filled up the tank where you show 134.4 miles driven (the original post), you put in 5.33 gallons of fuel, correct?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Thanks, Oliver. Is Turbo the "auto" button on the air conditioning? I used it last summer but discontinued doing so because of its impact on mileage. This summer I've avoided it, but as the posted image suggests, it hasn't made much difference. Is there another Turbo option I'm not (yet) aware of?
"Turbo" IS NOT the A/C "auto" button? Note, obviously A/C use will reduce your MPG.

The "turbo" is mounted to the 3-cylinder 453 engine to provide more power when you mash the go pedal - often while compromising fuel mileage. With a "right sized" engine as smart has, sometimes we demand more performance while killing fuel economy?

And what is the octane rating of the fuel normally used 87, 91 or 93?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just like with an EV, mashing the go pedal will use up more energy juice reducing mpg(e) to available energy supply.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
All my cars use synthetic oil. That really doesn't have a bearing on vehicles achieving better fuel economy. At 30k miles??? Modern vehicles true break in is around 5-6k miles. That's when vehicles start to gain their best gas mileage. I've owned enough new cars, in my lifetime.

Your city driving, stop and go, turbo charge engine, and AC function might have to do, with your poor gas mileage. You might want to try a higher octane fuel. Go from 91-93. Is your engine air cleaner, fresh? Lots of factors.
All 3 of my 451 car got OK mpg until I hit right around 30K, then they improved in the MPG department. My only thought was that on other cars I tend to put about 10K on them before changing to Mobil 1. Thus my reasoning. I puled apart a motor out of an Astro van that had used Mobil1 since new and at 150K miles, it showed minimal wear. It was gone through because of a failed fuel injection system filled the motor with fuel, it hydro-locked the engine and I had to remove the spark plugs to drain the gas. it squeaked when I turned it by hand...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Using 93 octane??.................

Using reguler or mid-range fuel, or fuel with high percentage of ethenol will KILL mpg numbers. The car will run but the car's computer is happier with 91 to 93 octane. Try a couple of fill-ups with the BEST fuel....................

1 - 20 of 24 Posts