Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have owned this 2015 low mileage Pure since April and no problems. Just light driving for errands and such. I live in CA and we really have not had any rain since April til last night, so I don't know if the humidity has something to do with it. This morning after going to the grocery store I turned off the engine after I pulled into the garage and noticed this popcorn sound coming from the rear area of the car. I put away the shopping and came back 20 minutes later. The noise had stopped. Should I be worried? The only thing different has been a heavy overnight rain, but the car was inside my garage. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I think you are hearing the cooling down of the exhaust system. More of a tink tink tink sound? Nothing to worry about. Also, you may smell a burning rubber smell. Rubber from tires on the road surface gets blown up on the exhaust by the close proximity of the tires, and then it smells. Both are totally normal with smarts. If you have not experienced hearing the rattly bucket of bolts sound when driving alongside a building with the window open such as a fast food drive thru, you have something else to look forward to. Also normal. These beasties have their own set of sounds that are perfectly normal.

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
...well...let's dial this one back a notch...if you smell burning whatever... open your engine bay and make sure that nothing is making contact with the exhaust system components....nothing...there's a recall for insulting material in the engine bay contacting such components and pretty flames screwing up your day...

Jetfuel....extinguisher near by...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts