Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Good read and the kind of experiences we will start to have once we get ours!! :) Thanks for that post, Shanna!

John

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I took a 450 through a self serve carwash, the track was too wide for the car.
Please, don't do that to your finish. The machines really mess up the paint. Besides, it can't take more than a half dozen swipes with a micro-fiber cloth to wash the whole car.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ihoboy.

The car wash issue is a problem for us, as Michigan spreads huge quanitys of road salt each winter. Blasting the underside is a must to stop rust.

This will be my wife's car, and I expect she will work out of it from time to time. Hand cleaning at the spray booth looks like our only option unless the USA Smart is wide enough to run through the car wash.

We put the Miata away all winter each year, but as the Smart is being delivered in Jan (we hope) we will at least want to drive it a Little bit. :)

Any Ideas?

A2jack.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I live about a mile from a really nice car was (The Downtower, but I-94 and 52 for those in Minnesota) - I know the people who run it. I'll ask them if they can handle a smart.

Ihoboy.

The car wash issue is a problem for us, as Michigan spreads huge quanitys of road salt each winter. Blasting the underside is a must to stop rust.

Any Ideas?

A2jack.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Please, don't do that to your finish. The machines really mess up the paint.
No paint on the plastic panels. The Tridon is powder coated.

Here in Los Angeles we have car washes without brushes. The track is single sided and humans wash the cars with hand mitts as the car moves down the line.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plastic is scratched just as easily as paint, though.

Hope your car isn't the one following behind the Hummer that just got back from Mudding...;)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Plastic is scratched just as easily as paint, though.

Hope your car isn't the one following behind the Hummer that just got back from Mudding...;)
That's why I use the brushless car wash. The guys on the wash line change out their towels often. It may be a "only in LA" thing, though.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
No paint on the plastic panels. The Tridon is powder coated.

Here in Los Angeles we have car washes without brushes. The track is single sided and humans wash the cars with hand mitts as the car moves down the line.

Smartie already answered regarding the paint/clearcoat. But even with the brushless washes, the strips used to loosen the dirt, and even more so the drying mitts, will trap grit and put some awesome microscratches on your surface. If you don't mind, don't worry about it.

If you want to maintain a mirror surface, avoid the automated car washes. The coin-op wash bays are the best choice in this case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts