Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else keep a battery charger in the back of their smart? I drive it every day so, don't worry about the battery failing due to non-use. My 08 got the upgrade just before I bought it, however, I still suffer flashbacks to it not starting in the dealer lot when it had the old battery and, would just feel safer having a battery charger w/me at all times. If anyone else does this, can you recommend any brands/types and, will it lower the gas mileage sitting back there (those things are heavy!)? THANKS!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bought a solar panel charger from harbor frieght for about $20. Hooked it up to my jetskis to keep them up. IF I were worried I would wire one into the smart and just leave it on the dash. But Im not worried. Jumper cables might be a better option.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
If you just want something small to keep your battery "topped off," the Battery Tender Junior easily fits in the palm of your hand and weighs about 6 ounces. I use them on cars that are sitting in the garage while the Smart is being driven.:D I've also used it on the Smart when I know I'm going to be away for a bit. It works well and sells for only $20-25.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
well, some people wear a belt with their suspenders, just in case.

Last week I had a Prius pull up next to me and ask if I had jumper cables.... Think about that one.... Electric car (or a hybrid anyhow) looking for jumper cables?? whats wrong with that picture??

i have taken a jump box with when I go camping to power the electronic gadgets the kids haul along.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I assume you're talking about a battery-powered, rechargable unit to jump start the car and not simply a charger.

If you're looking for a charger to keep things topped up - especially during long periods of sitting unused, I have used a 1 amp motorcycle battery charger. It gives a slow trickle charge. Batteries are better charged slowly.

I taked to someone who put a trickle charger on a timer to keep his motorcycle battery charged during the winter. Just set it to come on every night for a couple of hours. Could work for a car that's sitting idle as well. Most chargers have automatic cut offs so they won't overcharge your battery, so it's probably not a real problem, but if you prefer, you can set up a timer.

If you watch your battery charge and top it off when the car sits idle for long perioids, you shouldn't need a jump battery. I have a ScanGauge and it can display the battery voltage. It's a good multi-tasker. Check out other posts on the subject. A simple battery level indicator could help you feel a little more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
A Battery tender is designed to keep the battery charged without overcharging for months, like over the winter or such witout messing with a timer.
A jump box is basicly a deep cycle battery that can handle sitting idle for a long time without discarging and still maintain enough of a charge to handle starting a car. They are usually a completely sealed batterey so acid won't leak out if they are turned over by accident.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,238 Posts
I have Deltran Battery Tenders on my three special interest cars that see little use. They are hard wired to the batteries and I plan to put one on the Brabus I just picked up. I won't be driving my Smart but once or twice a week, so I think the battery tender is a good idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I do park my car reversed up my inclined driveway, so there is a "hill" for me to roll down into the street. I've compression started other manual transmission cars (VWs mainly) that have clutches. It's gonna feel weird not having a clutch to pop, haha. I'll try it next time it dies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts