Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
The pandemic has stuck me at home since March and of course my 2008 451 passion is doa.
Has anyone tried one of those lithium battery portable jump starters? Are they worth it and can they hurt my car?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello all,
The pandemic has stuck me at home since March and of course my 2008 451 passion is doa.
Has anyone tried one of those lithium battery portable jump starters? Are they worth it and can they hurt my car?
I have one, they can be handy. If the battery has been drained very low and sat that way, the battery has likely suffered permanent damage and may have a significanly reduced service life.
So long as you take care to connect it properly it should work fine.

If the car is expected to sit unused for a while, getting a battery tender to keep it topped up might be a good idea.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I have this Diehard jump starter, in all my cars. I’ve used it once. Has a flashlight, a port for charging a mobile phone. I highly recommend this one. You can pick them up for $50-60 dollars. Prefect if your by yourself, in the middle of no where. Easy to use on the 451, with the battery under the passenger foot well. You don’t have to carry bulky jumper cables around. Stores neatly any where. Small foot print.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have two. The lithium battery ones work well. I have a super capacitor one that works great. It can charge itself from a battery that’s too weak to start the car and discharge it all at once to start the car. It works really well!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have two. The lithium battery ones work well. I have a super capacitor one that works great. It can charge itself from a battery that’s too weak to start the car and discharge it all at once to start the car. It works really well!
Thank you for enlightening me.
I had no idea that they had Super Cap. Jump starters. Watched a few videos on them. Wow..
I did not like having to remember to charge my jump starter every few months.
So long lithium battery jump starters. Super Cap. For each car now.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thank you for enlightening me.
I had no idea that they had Super Cap. Jump starters. Watched a few videos on them. Wow..
I did not like having to remember to charge my jump starter every few months.
So long lithium battery jump starters. Super Cap. For each car now.
Yeah, I bought a Lithium ion one a couple years ago and it really doesn’t hold its charge that long.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Need Help on locating the Super capacitor one you are speaking of

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
All they have to accomplish. Is jumpstart your car, when your car battery is dead. My Diehard ones are going on 2 years old now. They keep 100% of their charge.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My dad has one of those that’s from Schumacher and I’ve used it a few times and it’s yet to have let us down.
I have had to use it on the smart once and man it’s convenient to not have to get out to boost your car off.
Otherwise it’s been used on my scooter a few times.
It’s a lithium one and it packs a punch for it’s size.
Definitely been worth the money.
Btw the reason why jo’s unit swelled like that is due to completely discharging it.
I’ve seen that in r/c hobby vehicles(that can turn bad quick as lithium batteries don’t like that one bit)

·
Registered
983 Posts
My dad has one of those that’s from Schumacher and I’ve used it a few times and it’s yet to have let us down.
I have had to use it on the smart once and man it’s convenient to not have to get out to boost your car off.
Otherwise it’s been used on my scooter a few times.
It’s a lithium one and it packs a punch for it’s size.
Definitely been worth the money.
Btw the reason why jo’s unit swelled like that is due to completely discharging it.
I’ve seen that in r/c hobby vehicles(that can turn bad quick as lithium batteries don’t like that one bit)
Well no it wasn't completely discharged still showed 80%. It had never been completely discharged in the year I owned it.
It was stored in the car under the floor right on top of the spare tire. Where it would be convenient if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My ex lent me his trickle charger, and it was so good I bought one for myself. (He has a boat and routinely forgets to turn of the batteries when it gets put back in the barn, so he has to charge them back up several times a year.) The model he, and now I, have is a Carquest CQ-1000CR. It has three settings: 2 amp trickle charge, 15 amp fast charge, and 100 amp start aid.

It won't help if your battery goes dead while you're out and about, but if it's a matter of recharging your battery at home from full dead, this puppy will make it happen. Invest in a sturdy extension cord to accompany it.

I also got a DC splitter that holds a spare fuse, and has a little digital display that shows the current battery amperage. Maybe it's chintzy, but it seems heckin useful for my situation - my electrical system has some sort of slow bleed somewhere, and if I don't drive my '09 Passion Cabriolet at least twice a week, entropy takes over.

Good luck with your recharge!

·
Registered
324 Posts
jo
You do realize they aren’t supposed to be kept stored in the vehicle due to the extreme temperatures that can range inside a vehicle?
Here’s what the temperature range for storage is -4°F-+140°F
I pulled the owners manual for the one I have used.
Temps inside a vehicle can get close to the upper end if not hotter depending on the outside temp.
One thing lithium batteries don’t like is extreme heat.(it’s possible in the summer months)
That’s likely what caused yours to puff up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts