Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the negative reports about Mercedes dealers, I thought I'd post info about a great experience I had at Mercedes-Benz of Cary, NC. I did not buy either of my Smarts from them and had visited their service facility once in four years, so it's not like I'm a regular.

I took my coupe in yesterday to have a service campaign done on my HV battery. Car was out of warranty by one day, but this campaign was a no charge update similar to a recall. I was also offered a "free" safety check. I figured that's where they would find something, but they said everything looked great Total bill was ZERO. Everything I asked them to do like make sure my car had a full charge when I picked it up and have it ready early in the morning, since I had a 150 mile drive that was going to take me twelve hours with stops for charging - done!

Only downside was that they no longer provide loaner cars for Smart service. However, they did drive me over to the car rental place and had me just leave my rental car with them. They made the call to the rental place to have the car picked up.

Interesting info I found out. They still service Smarts and sell parts. In fact I made a phone order for a part a couple of days before my appt. Part was ready when I got there with a 10% military discount. The part came from Jacksonville, so obviously Mercedes still stocks some parts in the US. They have no deadline established for when that service will end. The service advisor kind of implied that word would come from Mercedes.

So all in all I had a very good experience. Sorry that they are 150 miles from me, but the good thing is that the Smart electrics are incredibly easy to work on for a DIY and there is very little maintenance required.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 13,500 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,102 Posts
But no backstory on the software update as it might relate to HV battery pack failures???

Cary M-B smart Center has always been one of the better dealers!

Thanks for sharing a POSITIVE experience!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
My question is what date do they use to figure out you were one day over the warranty?

(my 2016 Edition #1 is coming up on warranty end)

Thanks in advance.
Your vehicle should have an "in-service" date that defines the start of the warranty.

For some reason, even though we purchased our 2015 ED in June 2017, our in-service date is September 2017. When I pointed this out to the service writer, he said "Enjoy your extra three months of warranty!" No complaints by me.

Be the way, I have had excellent experiences with Mercedes of Seattle. Both times I have brought the car in, I've been treated as if I owned a Mercedes and the smart has always been washed and vacuumed when returned to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But no backstory on the software update as it might relate to HV battery pack failures???

Cary M-B smart Center has always been one of the better dealers!

Thanks for sharing a POSITIVE experience!!!
That's coming in the next day or so on another thread that you're watching. :)

I do have some info.

Len

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My question is what date do they use to figure out you were one day over the warranty?

(my 2016 Edition #1 is coming up on warranty end)

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned above, the VMI is their bible for lots of things, warranty included. It is a great document to have in your hands, but it is getting impossible to kiss up enough to the dealers anymore to get it. My warranty started the date of the sales agreement. Wasn't a big deal that I was a day out of warranty, because I had no issues at all, let alone any that a warranty would have covered. Been an awesome car.

Len

1 - 7 of 7 Posts