Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I will definitely be checking things out as best as I can and wrote things down that’s I’ve read to check for when buying a second hand smart car. What is a bent valve? And what would I be looking for?
Can't tell you exactly what went wrong because I can't go back that far in my search of his threads, but this one has pics, basically had to remove the engine...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,725 Posts
Two keys or deduct for a “replacement” which can cost upwards of $400!

·
Registered
733 Posts
View attachment 63911 This is what I’d be looking at and in the picture it looks good and clean but in person that might be a different story! 😬
It's pretty. I have loved my 2014 from the time I got it in 2016. But I can't express how much more I love driving it since I started driving it exclusively in manual mode shifting with the gear shifter. When you test it if you are unfamiliar ask them to go over driving it in manual mode. Dashing around Hawaii in manual in my mind is fantastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I am new to this site, im from Hawaii and very interested in getting a smart car. I am looking into 2 used smart cars right now, a 2011 passion hard top from a dealer and a 2013 passion convertable from a private owner. I'm so torn between the 2! So far i've only seen pictures as of yet but plan on viewing both soon. The 2011 looks really good in pictures body wise though the inside looks like it could use an intensive cleaning, as for the 2013 the body has little scratches here and there nothing big and the interior looks very clean. Mileage are low on both and similar to each other. The 2011 has had 2 owner and the other 1. I don't have many options because people that have them seem to keep them and are hard to come by. Are these cars a good investment for someone who does'nt have a Mercedes dealer/mechanic shop around? Any and all advise would be great and very appreciated, i look forward to it! :)

Thank you.
Hi there! Is there any special reason you want a Smart car? I only ask because ten years ago I REALLY wanted one, and thought they’d be great to putt around in, and be good with parking in the city. I found a 2008 Passion Cabriolet, tomato red, in mint condition, only 2000 miles or so, kept in a garage, and babied by the one owner. It IS a fun car, especially with the top down, but over time I became less impressed with the fuel economy (only 25-27 mpg), its inability to deal with ice or snow at ANY time, and the high cost of repairs. I LOVE the little red convertible, but if I had known its limitations and the cost to drive, I would have looked for another small car, preferably better in inclement weather, and less expensive to drive. Good luck! 🙂

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Interesting, my 2013 never averaged that low. Always +/- 40 mpg. Perhaps the previous poster drove always in the city with lots of stop n go. With a rear engine, rear wheel drive I found both my 2013 smart Passion and my current 2016 smart Passion decent in snow but not too deep as it will ride up on deep snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I am new to this site, im from Hawaii and very interested in getting a smart car. I am looking into 2 used smart cars right now, a 2011 passion hard top from a dealer and a 2013 passion convertable from a private owner. I'm so torn between the 2! So far i've only seen pictures as of yet but plan on viewing both soon. The 2011 looks really good in pictures body wise though the inside looks like it could use an intensive cleaning, as for the 2013 the body has little scratches here and there nothing big and the interior looks very clean. Mileage are low on both and similar to each other. The 2011 has had 2 owner and the other 1. I don't have many options because people that have them seem to keep them and are hard to come by. Are these cars a good investment for someone who does'nt have a Mercedes dealer/mechanic shop around? Any and all advise would be great and very appreciated, i look forward to it! :)

Thank you.
Hello, I would like to give you a few tipps and my opinion since I have been a part of the SMART engineering group and a Mercedes-Benz engineer.
I have had 5 Smart cars within the last 20 years. Gasoline and Diesel. The last car was a CDI which is not sold to the USA however, I put on over 100k miles and never has a big issue. Just last week I bought another SMART for we the family has missed to have a SMART car so bad . My wife thougth it was not a good idea and to buy a car thats a bit larger. Need to say we have 3 cars in the family already. So the SMART is an addition. Now that I insisted and the car was bought. We fight who can use it.......lol
From my point of view, the Smart has a lot of advantages, it is very fuel efficient, Parking is no issue since it is small, and the technic is rather simple. If you are a bit technically inclined you can do most of them maintenance yourself with the help of you tube. Oil change is very simple. So is changing brake pads or air cleaner. I know friends that put on 300000 km without any repairs. This is our second convertible and we like it as well as we did the regular non convertibles.
Dont be afraid to buy one just look out for a 1 owner or 2 owner car. Preferably with maintenance or service records.
The one we just bought is a 2008 and in very nice condition. For the price a good buy.
Good Luck to you.
y

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well where do i start?! Lol I’ve seen these cars and was always so curious about them but never had the chance to drive one until recently when my brother in law got one! He’d gotten a ‘08 but it was still something I could play around with! It was then that I was sure I wanted one and have been actively looking since! I came across 2 of them 1 convertible and 1 hard time, the convertible sold within a few days before I could get out to see it and the other I’m crossing my fingers will still be available by Wednesday when I can go out to see it. This would be my work commuter. Better gas mileage than my Tacoma for sure. There aren’t many here on my island so this is why I’m asking honest opinions, likes and dislikes and so forth! I thank everyone who chimes in good or bad! Keep it coming guys! 😃

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,525 Posts
Well where do i start?! Lol I’ve seen these cars and was always so curious about them but never had the chance to drive one until recently when my brother in law got one! He’d gotten a ‘08 but it was still something I could play around with! It was then that I was sure I wanted one and have been actively looking since! I came across 2 of them 1 convertible and 1 hard time, the convertible sold within a few days before I could get out to see it and the other I’m crossing my fingers will still be available by Wednesday when I can go out to see it. This would be my work commuter. Better gas mileage than my Tacoma for sure. There aren’t many here on my island so this is why I’m asking honest opinions, likes and dislikes and so forth! I thank everyone who chimes in good or bad! Keep it coming guys! 😃
Since you say there are very few smarts on your island, if it were me, before buying one, I would find a repair center that you trust and has experience with the brand. I love my smart, had it more than 11 years with no intention of getting rid of it at my age. I would still make sure maintenance is available to you at a fair cost.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi there! Is there any special reason you want a Smart car? I only ask because ten years ago I REALLY wanted one, and thought they’d be great to putt around in, and be good with parking in the city. I found a 2008 Passion Cabriolet, tomato red, in mint condition, only 2000 miles or so, kept in a garage, and babied by the one owner. It IS a fun car, especially with the top down, but over time I became less impressed with the fuel economy (only 25-27 mpg), its inability to deal with ice or snow at ANY time, and the high cost of repairs. I LOVE the little red convertible, but if I had known its limitations and the cost to drive, I would have looked for another small car, preferably better in inclement weather, and less expensive to drive. Good luck! 🙂
I put 4 snow tires on my little Muffin and she does just fine in the snow. Not too deep, of course, because she isn't very tall! We live in Indiana and only had to leave her home one time during a blizzard.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've given up on premium gas on my Chewawa the past couple of years. At 222,000 miles, it's probably not feeling the difference anymore lol (oh wait, she's on her 2nd engine, so it's only 75,000 miles on that 2011 replacement engine).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I had a friend of mine go and check out the car since like I’ve mentioned I can’t get there until Wednesday! He said it was in good condition, clean exterior and interior. He looked at the engine and said it was clean he didn’t see any signs of things leaking, test drove it and said it felt good, no dash lights or weird noises or pulling right or left. Now I’ll be on pins and needles till I actually get there to put an offer on the table!! It is at a stealership and I even asked if I could put a deposit on it till then and was told no. The guy said someone else was going to be taking a look at it this afternoon as well! With my luck it’ll be sold by Wednesday! 🤦🏻‍♀️
maybe I should look into getting one from the Continental US! Only thing is it will take a lot of trust that I wouldn’t be buying a lemon! 😬😬

·
Registered
836 Posts
Classic line "The guy said someone else was going to be taking a look at it this afternoon as well!"... lol. It's to keep you up in pins and needles... I am not familiar with Hawaii's islands, so can you tell me which is yours and which is where the car's at?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I’m on Kauai and the car is on Oahu at Autoland Hawaii and with this darn Hurricane Douglas that’s coming I don’t know what’s going to happen!! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

21 - 40 of 65 Posts