Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank the good lord the hurricane passed the whole island chain! It was touch and go with direct hits to the islands but some how it’s course changed at the last minute. Talk about happy!! Whew! 😊 now I can get back to my car search! 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So I am here looking at the smart car everything looks perfect and checks out perfect until I see the darn airbag light on!! Code b11d1 airbag sensor!! Are you tricking kidding me?! Dealer told me the seats here just taken out today and the light wasn’t on until then doing that. I’m stuck now and don’t want to make the wrong decision and also want to be safe too!!🤦🏻‍♀️😬

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The passenger seat if folded down suddenly can lock the seatbelt. This will cause that light. (Had it happen to me). Check the seatbelts first to see if the belt is taught....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Oops, see this post and look for loose connector:

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you take out the seats off your smart without disconnecting the battery first, the airbag light will stay on, and you'll need that MB Star system to reset it off. Well, why won't the dealer reset the light?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi wahi. He did have his mechanic reset the light. But I’m afraid if something is really wrong or is this a common thing that goes off with these cars? And he said the mechanic reset it by taking the battery out and master reset the srs system.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hi wahi. He did have his mechanic reset the light. But I’m afraid if something is really wrong or is this a common thing that goes off with these cars? And he said the mechanic reset it by taking the battery out and master reset the srs system.
I don't know if that works. Need Mercedes specific tool...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
🤷🏻‍♀️ I don’t know either but he said the light is off now. But that could be just a temporary fix. 😬

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No I’m still here. Asked him if he’d go lower on the price so I’m waiting to hear back from him now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
OUch, to be on such limited time when making such an important purchase decision isn't the best.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
That's tough. Hoping you can confirm the light is actually off...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
He sent me a video of him turning on the car and the light went off. He also said the connectors under the seat wasn’t in all the way.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Good. Don't buy unless that system is working properly. The car is too small to have the SRS possibly not working. (The warning light means the SRS may not protect you in a god forbid accident)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before buying a car, do you study its characteristics? If it is difficult for you to choose a car, you should watch . Here you dare to learn more about the car you are interested in. In fact, it is much easier than you can imagine. I have been in your situation many times, so I understand you very well. I have placed a link to the site, I am sure that on the portal you will find a lot of useful information for yourself and will be able to quickly determine).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have owned 4, and given 3 of them to my children as they have come of age to drive!

3 hard tops and 1 Cabrio - the 2013 Cabrio is what I have now.

I would NOT buy a Cabrio again; PIA! - I'll skip the details

I will buy another Smart and it will be hard top

My only criteria... manual :) .... no more automatic :) - so I am going 453

My 2013 will go to my last kid :)

As far as owning a Smart

The one I gave my eldest some is a 2008 and has more than 100,000 miles on it... I tried to pry it back from him and he won't give it up LOL

He works on it himself

I also work on my own... to the extreme - in fact I currently have the engine out of the car.... (See other post for any details)

The moral of this story is... if you take care of it, it will be good to you (Again, I have 4 smart cars that have proven history in our family)

Basic maintenance is easy..... (The air filter is a PIA... easiest to do it through the driver side wheel arch if you have big hands LOL)

Changing an alternator, water pump etc.... not so much

But with patience it can be done by yourself!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two Smarts on Oahu. One gas and the other electric. They are perfect for island use. One of these days, I hope to bring one of them to Kauai and spend a few weeks exploring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok i did it! I bought the passion. Now to get it out here to me is the next thing. I have a sail date of 8/24 to ship out to me. In the mean time i had her windows tinted before coming out to me and am looking into things i want to add to her. Floor mats, seat covers, dashmat and definitely a new deck, preferably one that can have bluetooth and a reverse camera. What's all of your opinions on the gopedal?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts