Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a solution to be able to control my iphone without looking down. Plus I get hands free blue tooth and GPS. Need some opinions.

Staples and Buy.com have the Tomtom 720 on sale $169 and $179 ($10 off if you are a new member and over $200). The 720 does all kinds of neat things including spoken street names, SD slot, Bluetooth etc... It also got great reviews from most internet sites.

There is also set of ipod connect cables ($29 out of stock at Staples, but you get a free beanbag holder, free shipping both places). Which apparently allow you to use the Tomtom to navigate on your ipod, and connect it to the aux in port. So you should be able to navigate thru the ipod with the Tomtom, use the blue tooth to connect the phone, music will pause when a call or voice instructions come in.

Since I've been wanting a GPS. It seems like a good deal. Anyone done it before? How is the Tomtom interface with the ipod. I suppose worse case you could put the music on SD and use the Bluetooth for the phone part.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This should totally work but from what I read you may want to consider a plug in mic for the unit. That seems to be the only complaint with the iphone.

Eric

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm using the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it works great plugged into the aux outlet. It also has a connection for an external mike that works well with the bluetoth interface for my phone. I can play mp3's off of the Garmin, of port them to the Garmin from my phone as well. Eventually I will probably get one of the Poineer headunits with the GPS and Mp3 compatibility eventually, but for now the Garmin is an exellent solution and the sound quality is probably better than the radio10 can manage. The Garmin is about $250, which is more than the TomToms, but the traffic alert with the Garmin makes it well worth it. I have been notified of accidents in front of me and re-routed within minutes of the accident happening.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I think I may have a solution to be able to control my iphone without looking down. Plus I get hands free blue tooth and GPS. Need some opinions.

Staples and Buy.com have the Tomtom 720 on sale $169 and $179 ($10 off if you are a new member and over $200). The 720 does all kinds of neat things including spoken street names, SD slot, Bluetooth etc... It also got great reviews from most internet sites.

There is also set of ipod connect cables ($29 out of stock at Staples, but you get a free beanbag holder, free shipping both places). Which apparently allow you to use the Tomtom to navigate on your ipod, and connect it to the aux in port. So you should be able to navigate thru the ipod with the Tomtom, use the blue tooth to connect the phone, music will pause when a call or voice instructions come in.

Since I've been wanting a GPS. It seems like a good deal. Anyone done it before? How is the Tomtom interface with the ipod. I suppose worse case you could put the music on SD and use the Bluetooth for the phone part.
I love the tomtoms. You will enjoy it. It is very user friendly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about you just buy the Pioneer f500BT or the f900bt or f90bt

The ipod control is nice, handsfree is the sweetest.

I think they are about 450 for the f500 now, 600 for 900bt and 700 for the 90bt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts