1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's pretty likely that this is the transmission that will be used. I suspect, if anything, it would be the 6DCT150 (6-speed) mentioned in that paper because of the lower torque rating (better match to the 900cc engine) and lower cost. The shaft orientation that the drivetrain layout in the smart uses is the same as front-drive, so there should be minimal change. Lot more advanced than what we have now.

IIRC the current Ford Focus and Fiesta automatics are the Getrag 6-speed DCT mentioned as existing products in that presentation. They've been roundly criticised for lack of refinement ... but I've had them in rental cars a few times and had no issue with them outside of Ford not allowing you to select which gear you want to be in, but that is a Ford issue, not a Getrag issue.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the VW DSG transmissions are BorgWarner.

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I homed in on the 7-speed version was this tidbit from the Autoweek article last year:
The new engine will come mated to a standard six-speed manual or optional seven speed dual clutch gearbox -- the latter produced by Getrag and revealed at the recent Frankfurt motor show.
Of course, they could have it wrong. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fine for the EU, but DOA in the USA. What saves the smart here is the "D" feature, IMHO. Without it sales would be even lower than they already are. Personally, I can't wait for the 453 BRABUS with the dual clutch transmission. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some of the early press information I have read claims the 6-speed DCT may be the only transmission offered in the US, I hope that is not true and both the DCT and 5-speed manual are available. I would enjoy shifting with a clutch pedal again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts