Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OH MY GOD!!! HOW UNBELIEVABLY COOL WAS THAT!?!?!

I had a TON of fun, and I hope everyone else did too!

I'd like to thank Brand Experience and Marketing guru Kristen for sending free goodies! I wanted to surprise everyone - I was shipped Smart tote bags, tshirts, white and black hats, keychains, and the big prize, 1:18 scale diecast Smarts. :D Best part, everyone got at least one of everything, including the diecast Smarts!

A certain someone should have received a black flag for passing!!! I actually thought it was hysterical. :p The official said the pace car driver walkied her and said he was surprised we were really keeping such speed. They said it was going to be 55mph - I think that was our speed in the turns. :wink:

2 minor glitches; one of the organizers said that we would all be paying $35 for the weekend. (Why would I have opted for $35 when $25 was offered? That got me a little steamed after the fact.) The other was we only did 2 laps instead of the planned (and advertised) 3 laps - but they were free to us, so I can't complain at all.

I am SO THRILLED with the event, and I'd love to see it grow next year. :) I'll be posting pictures soon, and hopefully everyone else would like to share! Thank you all so much, and I hope everyone had a good time!

I'd like to start planning for 2013 soon. Keep tuning in. :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Dave, I appreciate that you took the time out to record and share the experience!

I had a very expensive dash mount for video... :p I have this long iPhone holder with a suction cup. I rubber-band-ed the iPhone into the holder, and laid it on the dash. The iPhone ended up pointing at the sky... Darnit... My mother eagerly volunteered to come when my other half couldn't make it, so she co-piloted and has camera video, which I'll upload soon. :)

(I'm trying to work out how to post photos into an album, but it isn't cooperating. I keep going back to the album section of my profile and not into the actual album. Eh. I'll figure it out.)

I'll certainly have to work more with Watkins Glen and with Smart, and I'll get this to expand next year. I'm excited to go back! Would anyone oppose paying a little bit for maybe 5 laps? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
our stated max was 55 mph.
most of the time we were in the 45-50 range.
(we had to stay behind the pace car and no passing allowed)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There was a point where we hung back at the rear because the Camaro behind us had trailed back. Someone, unnamed, hung further back and passed me. :eek: We may or may not have had a good drag race going. :p

Good point. I'm going to have to see what we could get out of the deal. I'm sure if we had a big enough crowd willing to pay, they'd let us have more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, and didn't one of the pace drivers call in that he was surprised that we were keeping up?

I would go for 5 laps... I WILL have my own camera for next year.

I was one of the wusses... next year, I think I'll be better. I've only been driving a smart daily for 3 months, in traffic :( on very straight roads :( and little time before this week to get into some really nice curvy roads :(.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, and didn't one of the pace drivers call in that he was surprised that we were keeping up?

I would go for 5 laps... I WILL have my own camera for next year.

I was one of the wusses... next year, I think I'll be better. I've only been driving a smart daily for 3 months, in traffic :( on very straight roads :( and little time before this week to get into some really nice curvy roads :(.
:megaphone: Get Thee to a winding county road and drive it like you stole it. :angelanddevil: We'll check for improvement next year

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize I had to miss breakfast, but I forgot to ask - who went and how was it?! Should that be next year's stop?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looked like a good time! Sorry I had to miss it, but I could'nt get the time off work. I live a little south of Buffalo, so it was'nt that far for me. If there is one next year, I will be there! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
It was a great time and I am sure we'll be doing it again next year.

Once we have a date, I'm booking my hotel, even if I have to cancel later. I missed breakfast thanks to not wanting to spend another night in the one I was at (it was worse than expected for the price). I probably wouldn't choose the same hotel ever again, even though I am giving them the benefit of the doubt due to evidence they are working towards a full update (from 70's-ish to modern).

If you like wine (like me :D), the wine festival itself was great too, though I would recommend bringing your own lunch. It is six of one, half a dozen of the other in comparison to a wine tour... You have 100 or so wineries within one area, but you have to contend with the crowds and can only sample what they brought (some probably brought everything, most probably brought what they thought was their best).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm already looking to rethink two key things. :)

1) Track Day. Saturday sort of pushed the event too close to the work-week. Those who wanted to stay got hotels for Friday night, meaning folks left for Watkins Glen right after the end of the work-week.

Maybe we can move the Track Day to Sunday, allowing everyone to drive to Watkins Glen on Saturday, get checked in, see some (not too much :p) of the Wine Festival, and then turn in for the night.

2) Food. The only thing on the planner for all of Sunday was breakfast. I think that a good breakfast before the laps would be just as welcome if we do it early enough. A number of people didn't stay over for Sunday's breakfast because of hotel expenses.

We can go to breakfast (Savard's? :)) before the laps so we all get a chance to wake up to some real food. If folks want, we can also pick a dinner place for Saturday evening. That way, both days have a good mix of things to do. Just no heavy drinking before going on the track the next day - I have a feeling Smart owners are, well, Smarter than that.

I'll be in touch with the track again in the near future, and we'll see what we can hash out for next year. The sooner, the better! Please come in if you have any opinions or ideas!

* Anyone have any word on how to work the Photo Albums on SCoA? If I click on one I created, I can't go in to it. Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
169 Posts
My GF posted her photos to Facebook yesterday. Anyone who wants to see them, please send me a friend request (e-mail: nathanial dot c dot jones at gmail dot com). Please mention in the note something identifying about your smart, preferably your position on the track (upon entering) or in our line-up afterwards.

Note: I am willing to friend more smart owners, but I want to limit to those at Watkins Glen first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fbook pix

Nathan----

I'm not on fbook. my wife is, so I will forward this over to her.

dave greenberg.
(4th postion, yellow and black Brabus, had the video running during the laps)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm, Finger Lakes Wine Festival is officially scheduled for July 12-14 next year. It would be awesome if we could do this again then and get them to make it part of the festival.

Maybe we could arrange a slightly later time with a trip (or parking) in (or near) the pit lane.

Once July opens up on Travelocity, I'm booking Friday night through Sunday morning... I like my wine. :D Going to be bottling up some homemade strawberry wine with the first being uncorked December 29 at 11:59:59 and sipped January 1 at 12:00:00. :party::D:D

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
I believe that time frame is the week after the national convention in Denver. We made the decision to skip our regional event during the years of the national event (every 3rd year) as most people only can budget time for one event.
Just a thought..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts