Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer:
I am a bit short on time, so perhaps my question has been answered already elsewhere. If someone thinks my questions have been answered, just indicate that.

That said...

I am seriously considering a smart car. I hate to buy new because of the depreciation of new vehicles, but if I want to buy from someone local, I suspect that is what I have to do.

I must also admit, I am interested in the electric model. However, I do not have a garage in which to setup the charger.

I live in Affton, MO. It would be swell if others can provide some advice on how I should proceed.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Disclaimer:
I am a bit short on time, so perhaps my question has been answered already elsewhere. If someone thinks my questions have been answered, just indicate that.

That said...

I am seriously considering a smart car. I hate to buy new because of the depreciation of new vehicles, but if I want to buy from someone local, I suspect that is what I have to do.

I must also admit, I am interested in the electric model. However, I do not have a garage in which to setup the charger.

I live in Affton, MO. It would be swell if others can provide some advice on how I should proceed.
An EV w/o a charger? Just go to cars.com and see what they got. Buying a used ICE would be WAY cheaper than the new electric and would likely last you longer. look for a later model 2008 or a 2009+

·
Registered
287 Posts
The new electric does not need a "charger" as you can plug into a normal 110 volt outlet that you might have on the outside of your house. The charging cord stores in the tailgate.

Be careful about the amount of driving you may be doing on the highway with the A/C or heat on as this will limit your driving distance.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
Disclaimer:
I am a bit short on time . . .

1. I am seriously considering a smart car. I hate to buy new because of the depreciation of new vehicles . . .

2. I am interested in the electric model. However, I do not have a garage in which to setup the charger.
Being "short on time" forget about ED and focus on ICE.

Kinda short answers . . .

1. smarts are not immune to depreciation and as a niche vehicle this can make resale a challenge.

2. The next gen ED model will not be available until Q1(?) 2013. Typically outdoor charging of an EV from a wall outlet can be a challenge especially with the inclement winter weather of MO. Optional indoor (garage) charging stations are quicker and allow for "conditioning" (heat/air) the interior temperature.

smart IS NOT for everyone. Please do not make your decision from a quick trip around the block. Ask your local smart Center if you can rent for the weekend? If possible drive several both new and used.

Best of luck,

Tom, 5 years and still smart'n . . . :burnout:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
".......you can plug into a normal 110 volt outlet that you might have on the outside of your house"

And you're only limited by the length of your extension cord.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts