Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a damaged 2008 Pure. I am checking into body panels right now. Definitely needs a hood and a drivers side fender. Drivers side headlight assembly and a driver side wiper arm. I already posted in the wanted section concerning the body panels. I have been wanting one and if I can pick one up that needs some work no problems as I like working on cars. Great forum to learn about these cars. Cheers to everyone.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Welcome to the insane asylum! You don't have to be crazy to be here but it doesn't hurt!!
As a fellow Pure owner, I can tell you that you have one of the minority cars. They made lots more Passions than Pures. The good news is the body and most all the parts are the same!!! Doesn't sound like the damage was too bad, but headlight assemblies are not cheap. Fenders and hoods are easily found, the even come up on Ebay sometimes. You can get a complete set of all the panels for around $800 (I think) from the dealer.

Get that car fixed up in time for the big party at Wisconsin Dells June 10th weekend!!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Welcome to SCOA. I hope it works out for you to get the pure. There are a number of smart owners around the Des Moines area and one that I know of near Indianola. Maybe some of or even one of them will speak up and help you out. We get to Des Moines and/or Lohrville every couple of months or so ourselves.

It would be great to see you at the Dells.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Make sure to check the radiator core support. :) Still not too big a deal to swap out if you like working on cars. Welcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Potetential New Owner

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have a line on some body panels already. I also realize there may be a bit more damage than meets the eye. This would definitely be a salvage title. I am still not afraid of the work that might be required as long as the frame is not tweaked. If they even have a frame-probably more of a uni-body style. The Dell's is a cool place to hold an event. It has been quite a few years since I have been to the Dell's.

Steve

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
...as long as the frame is not tweaked. If they even have a frame-probably more of a uni-body style.
Yo, that's one of our major safety features - the frame, aka tridion. (And welcome to the club!) Behold our crash cage, one of the biggest reasons our tiny car IS safe.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
That's a 450 trid.
Doh!!!! Is it??? It's just in my little collection of pictures. Sorry. Oh yeah - the fuel hole/tube/cap is on the wrong side. Well here's a current, but much smaller picture from the smartusa website. I don't think there are any significant differences? Especially not from the point of view of just showing the OP that we do indeed have a frame, unlike many modern vehicles.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Two giveaways...window openings and left hand gas filler. I am sure there are more, but those caught my eye.
If you were to put gas in that left hand hole, you'd end up with an airbox full of gas. :eek: No worries, I've heard of women "manhandling" the cover ripping it out and then gassing it up. :eek: May be an urban legend but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Welcome to the fold, and from one Pure owner to another you definitely got a minority car. Your panels are not too bad to replace, but do be on the lookout for any kind of structure damage. Either way, may your Pure be a really good fun time, and please do post some photos of the finished product. BTW what color is the tridion. Mine is Sliver with Blue Panels. According to the dealership where i got my Pure it is considered a rare color combo as this is mostly on the Passion trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts