Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pure dont hv the power steering pump just wonder if possible to add the power steering to my car right now??thx

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Nevermind the feasibility, is there a reason you feel a need for it? No doubt, if it can be done it will be pricey.

My car has it. But, from what I've read from others who have driven both with and without ... they feel it is unnecessary.

I like mine though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont mind but not my mom since she drive more of the time,i running bigger tires maybe that is the problem..i really want to add it if possible

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I understand. Considering the time of day of your post, don't expect a decent response before tomorrow. A bunch of early birds here, LOL.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Going back to stock is your only easy and affordable option. Otherwise, you might have to trade in for a car with PS if you need it that much.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Our smarts don't have traditional power steering.

they have Electric assist steering.

There is no pump.

There is a small electric motor that helps turn the wheels at lower speeds.

If I recall correctly, the electric connection should be there already ( I know it is on all passions)?

You would just need to swap the steering rack for one with the power assist module (and probably have a dealership flash the computer so it recognizes the new module)?

Personally, I have disconnected the PS on my cabrio. I find it "fight" me when I am autocrossing? So I really like the standard steering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts