Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ICE loaner I have has no power steering, not that it is needed all that much. But why is power steering standard on the EV's and optional on the ICE's? Is there something about the electric motor that makes adding power steering a cheap no brainer for the manufacturer?

Len
2014 EV with a 2015 ICE loaner right now

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think the MY16 and forward have PS standard but 08-15 it was optional (on Pures, at least).

I've never owned a car with power steering in my life and will be having to deal with it when I trade my 12 for a 16 or 17.

I guess power steering and power brakes are necessary for the auto-pilot when it shows up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'll bet price point has something to do with the Pure not having PS standard. Passions up sell for more so more likely to be included.
For the EV's it might be a matter of weight of the battery pack that made PS standard?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the weight thing and especially the weight distribution with the battery in the EV.

My loaner is a Passion ICE with no power steering.

Len
2014 EV in the shop going on two weeks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea.... very likely to be standard due to the increased weight mid-chassis added by the battery pack(s). Comparing the specs between a 2015 ForTwo and 2015 ForTwo ED (just as an example), the ED weighs nearly 300 pounds more than the ICE counterpart, and while i doubt there'd be any OFFICIAL information on this, i'm pretty sure the electric motors and everything else they tuck into the back of the ED probably doesn't weigh anywhere near as much as the combustion engine and transmission and all the required cooling components required to keep it running smoothly. That being the case, a good portion of the weight shifted from the rear of the car closer to the middle of the car, increasing the weight on the front wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts