Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if the SMARTs we test drove in the USA tour had power steering? They steered fine, was that what we get for the extra $450? Or is that the standard steering?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Some smarts on the road tour were electric power steering, some not. You should have asked what you were driving at the time.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
The unassisted steering units are easily discernable. At a dead stop there is significant steering resistance. If you couldn't tell, you were probably driving one with power assist.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I personally drove a non assisted 451 yesterday and can tell you that there is no way they will squeeze $450 out of me for the electric assist. I'll use that for warranty extension instead. :D:D

·
Registered
834 Posts
I personally drove a non assisted 451 yesterday and can tell you that there is no way they will squeeze $450 out of me for the electric assist. I'll use that for warranty extension instead. :D:D
As it stands now, IF you want leather seats you will have Power steering

·
Registered
931 Posts
The leather appears to be only on the edges of the seat and back. The seat and mid back area are still material. No big deal, especially if it only comes in black. The seats are small and only two so aftermarket leather in other colors (entire seat) will not be that costly. The comfort group exclusion will mean that I'll have to turn on my wipers in the rain, and remember to shut the lights when i leave the car at night. Not too big of a deal in my book.

·
Registered
931 Posts
mfoster, I drove one yesterday with the "leather" and it was as I described it. The smart rep confirmed it as well. If you are absolutely sure it will be all leather I would be very happy indeed. Can you kindly share your source? Thanks. :cool:

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
every picture I've seen of the leather seats has had complete leather on the bottom with cloth center in the back. I've never seen any picture of the leather seats with cloth seat. No specific source. If what you say is correct there is no reason to get leather option. I can't imagine that all the pictures of the black seats I've seen are the Brabus seats.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I'm assuming that the 2008 brochure coming out of Canada will be very close to the one for the U.S. Page 34 of 48 has a picture of the optional leather seats.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Paul! That link to the 48 pages of info was great. I guess the pricing and options are different in Canada. It said no extra charge for the silver tridon on the passion, and that heated seats are standard on it also...
Vicki in Dallas

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
That'll get you an additional 1 year, at best.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
thanks for the link, I've been so busy these days to check! Nice to see new and different info from the UK brochure from a while back....

I like how they especially advertise the snow and handling aspects in this one!
(wonder why! ;) )

1 - 20 of 34 Posts