Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone test driven a SMART without power steering? I don't think I've ever driven a car without, so I don't know what it is like or if it makes much of a difference in such a small car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I configured 26 Nov and decided not to get power steering I have no problem driving my'81 Alfa Spyder even when doing slow speed maneuvers. This car the Smart is smaller so I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am going to go to the dealer after the first of the year and drive one with and one without if they have them. With my higher number I should not have to confirm prior to January 1st.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I drove the car without power steering, it takes very little effort. However the non-power steering smart takes more turns, lock-to-lock. IE - so when you go around the corner or park, you will have to turn the wheel a bit more.

I ordered the power steering - for an everyday commuter car, the least effort and closest to zen I could get was my goal. For fun I will take out the TR6 or the MGA

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Not true, according to some of the people who work on them...
The ratio with non-P/S is 22:1, and with P/S, 21:1. So what does that mean? It isn't that they put 1/21th more teeth on the rack, or that the pinnion circumference is changed by 1/21th, to make steering easier - that is a stupid thought! But it does argue that there is some difference in the rack end-stops between non-P/S and P/S (probably more robust or cushioned on the P/S to accomodate the additional pinnion torque against them). And as a result, the turning circle of a P/S car will be 1/21th greater than a non-P/S (about 16").

·
Registered
721 Posts
http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=171126&highlight=pas#171126

BUT...I misunderstood what he had said...sorry.

Bob in Europe:

We made the PinPAS gear in the 450. I understand that Delphi makes the gears in the 451.

The best reason for having PAS is in parking assist; far as I know (but am not absolutely sure), the ratio is the same for both manual and power variants.

By the way, if you want to see if your 450 has the PinPAS gear, look in the driver's side front wheel arch along the front side of the axle and if you see something that looks like a silver soup can, then you have the feature... from inside the car, just try to turn the wheel, with one finger, from lock to lock when at a standstill... if one of your knuckles doesn't come out of joint, then you probably have the PAS option... finally, at least here in Europe, the ECU for the PinPAS is located on the dash panel forward of the battery sump and should have a label saying "MB Lenkung" or "Presta Steertec" on it...

Cheers, Bob

So...Maybe they are NOT the same.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The ratio with non-P/S is 22:1, and with P/S, 21:1. So what does that mean? It isn't that they put 1/21th more teeth on the rack, or that the pinnion circumference is changed by 1/21th, to make steering easier - that is a stupid thought! But it does argue that there is some difference in the rack end-stops between non-P/S and P/S (probably more robust or cushioned on the P/S to accomodate the additional pinnion torque against them). And as a result, the turning circle of a P/S car will be 1/21th greater than a non-P/S (about 16").
I hate to disagree, but, um, I disagree.

Steering ratio is defined as the ratio between turn of the steering wheel and resulting turn of the road wheel (actually the average turn of the left and right road wheels since the inside wheel typically turns more than the outside). A 21:1 ratio translates to 17.1 degrees of turn at the road wheel for one full turn of the steering wheel. A 22:1 ratio translates to 16.4 degrees. This means that for a given amount of steering wheel lock, a smart with EPS will transcribe a tighter circle than one without (i.e. the EPS steering is "quicker", if only a little).

Quicker steering can only be achieved by some difference in the steering gear. Changes to the end stops can affect the turning circle, but not the steering ratio. A difference in ratio can be achieve by means other than the number of teeth on the steering pinion (e.g. shorter steering arms would achieve the same result).

None of this explains why one would bother to engineer such a minor difference into the two systems. That part makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was thinking of trying to order mine non-ps if possible just for simplicity sake. Less, moving parts, pullies, belts... Just not sure if you could even order an otherwise fully loaded passion without it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While I have not driven a Smart yet, my first car was an 83 Toyota Starlet with manual steering and no air conditioning! It steered just fine without PS even though the engine was in the front.

I ordered my Smart non-PS and I doubt if it really needs it unless you have some form of disability, arthritis or something acting against you when turning the wheel.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I am getting ready to configure my Smart. I have only driven the fortwo with power steering. The fortwo felt like an Oldsmobile with the power boost. Nice, but I am looking for road feel, so I am not going to get the option. Evo tested a Brabus with wider 16" tires and said this about power steering "All Smarts have non-assisted steering as standard, although you can specify electric assistance for £200. Don’t. The standard set-up is heavyish at very low speeds but is otherwise excellent, helping you to instinctively correct deviations from bumps or crosswinds."

Link:http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/210337/smart_fortwo_brabus.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts