Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was promptly emailed by the Smart Company that "YES" the new cars will require premium gasoline. Right now, that's about 15 more cents per gallon. I'm somewhat disappointed, but still interested and curious.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Octane

smartUSA emailed me that the octane rating for the 2008 U. S. smart will be 91 octane as figured in the U.S. (Rom+Mon/2). Our local Wawa store actually sells 91, but otherwise it can be concocted with equal parts of the 89 and 93 usually sold here in VA. I sometimes do it for the H-6 Subaru (optimized for 91) if I know that I'm carrying a half-tank of 93. Saves a dime a gallon. It would be nice if they offered a "de-tuned" compression ratio and ignition timing version to burn 87. 71 HP seems way more than adequate for the car's intent as a "city car."

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
smartUSA emailed me that the octane rating for the 2008 U. S. smart will be 91 octane as figured in the U.S. (Rom+Mon/2). Our local Wawa store actually sells 91, but otherwise it can be concocted with equal parts of the 89 and 93 usually sold here in VA. I sometimes do it for the H-6 Subaru (optimized for 91) if I know that I'm carrying a half-tank of 93. Saves a dime a gallon. It would be nice if they offered a "de-tuned" compression ratio and ignition timing version to burn 87. 71 HP seems way more than adequate for the car's intent as a "city car."
But not really enough for highway driving as is required in most major cities to get from points A to B. 0-60 in 13+ seconds is going to be scary on the entrance ramps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It would be nice if they offered a "de-tuned" compression ratio and ignition timing version to burn 87. 71 HP seems way more than adequate for the car's intent as a "city car."
Ouch, blasphemy. :eek: The tuner crowd will be offering MORE HP, not less! At least I hope that's the case. :D

tm

·
Registered
264 Posts
My wife's Acura calls for premium but adjusts to regular fine by automatically retarding the timing when it senses pinging so we put in regular and get SLIGHTLY less power (actually can't even tell the difference when driving). Let's hope the Smart will work the same way because having to put premium gas in a Smart is truly silly- people are not buying a Smart for speed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My wife's Acura calls for premium but if you put in regular it senses it and retards the timing slightly to prevent pinging. This results in ever so slightly less power (I honestly can't detect the difference). Let's hope the SMART will run the same way as putting premium in the SMART is truly silly- people don't buy a SMART for speed!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Keep in mind tha the SC has an extremely small engine that was designed with high compression to generate what little power it does have. This saves on weight allowing further fuel economy. Using a cheaper lower octane fuel may be false economy because even though the ignition may be able to retard sufficiently to avoid audible pinging, detonation damage may still be occuring. If the engineers are specifying 91 octane, then blend a mid-grade and a premium grade to at least approach the recommended octane rating. A 50/50 blend of 89 and 93 octane would be perfect to minimize cause and avoid the threat of engine damage or a voided warranty.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Warranty

lhoboy

Those who are currently driving a SMART in the US already have a voided warranty:mad: we get our warranty from a 3rd party insurance party (on our G&K converted cars).

ALL

I have a 700 cc turbo charged motor (my Honda Gold Wing motorcycle had a 1,000 CC motor Hee Hee Hee) and I'll tell everyone, I feel the difference between 91 and 93 octane in this car. Granted this is only my second tank, but I do feel a difference (even with the AC at full blast) now weather I get more miles out of this tank remains to be seen (@110 miles the indicator still shows a FULL tank, and from what I have read this is normal). I would suggest we all wait till the new 451s hit the EU market (and are tested ) before it is speculated what can and can not ignored in the OEMs recommendations.

just a thought

ASM

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Let's remind ourselves that this is a Smart and not an SUV......with only 8 gallon fillups, this (89 vs 93 octane) amounts to about $1.60 / tankful - a coffee and a donut (or just a coffee if its Starbucks! ;) ).

Seems like a small sacrifice to get better performance and cleaner air!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts