Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Pure Smart Car this year and have been filling it with the recommended Premium gas which is of course priced quite a bit higher than regular gas. I came across Edmund's discussion of Premium vs regular gas( https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html )and it had 2 lists: one a list of cars that it recommended Premium gas for and one where Premium was required. The 2013 Pure was on the list of recommended whereas later models it is required.
Can anyone comment on this and tell me what their experience with both fuel types is?
Not sure if it matters but I live in Ontario Canada and do about half and half highway/ town driving.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I bought my 2013 Pure Smart Car this year and have been filling it with the recommended Premium gas which is of course priced quite a bit higher than regular gas.

Can anyone comment on this and tell me what their experience with both fuel types is?

Not sure if it matters but I live in Ontario Canada and do about half and half highway/ town driving.
Welcome to SCoA!

And while your location in Canada may put a little different spin on it, this debate has been out there since the beginning of smart in N.A.?

Personally, my MY08 cabrio has been a "Premium smart" since new. It's only 8 gallons of gas? :shrug:

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f2/does-smart-use-regular-premium-gas-12001/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I found and read the thread on gas and it seems to be fairly evenly split between the two camps premium vs regular gas. I will see what the mechanic I am going to use says

·
Registered
665 Posts
Using the Shell card too. I like putting in the fuel octane rating that the manufacture calls for. First because that’s what the motor was designed to use , and second, because of compression ratios and the risk of detonation , which in such a small motor could be big trouble . It’s worth the few cents more to have less worry .

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,577 Posts
Other than the gas put in my car by the M/B-smart dealer at time of purchase, it has had nothing but Shell 93 octane for the last 9 plus years. In fact, if I remember correctly, all gas was purchased by me at the same Shell station near my subdivision.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Self proclaimed expert here (former mechanic)

It depends on your driving which is why there's no good answer. Your car will not detonate on 87 octane driving in moderate weather on a flat doing the speed limit, and possibly beyond or well beyond those parameters.

But, load it down with (2) 300 lb passengers on a hot day at higher elevation climbing a hill at full throttle in 5th gear and you WILL detonate on 87 octane.

So, to sum up, depends on your usage. If you find yourself never using full throttle, you're prob fine. When I lived in North Carolina for a bit, my commute was 10 miles on a flat road no turns @55mph. That would have done just fine at 87. Out here in SoCal where I live now it is pretty hilly and I also am about to put larger 185/60/15 tires on the car, so I will continue to run 91 octane. I have a couple gas stations out here that are only 20 cents more per gallon over regular, so it isn't too painful. =)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
And the debate continues...What I have noticed is the amount of ethanol makes a bigger difference than the Octane rating. Although they do use ethanol to increase the octane number, the ethanol just doesn't work the same. I stick with a premium with no ethanol as much as possible. Better MPG, more power, etc. Just my experience over the years of smart driving....

·
Registered
598 Posts
It is unfortunate that the pigs at the oil companies are ripping us off for $.60-.80 gallon more for premium.
Generally, in the winter months when the temperature is below 40 degrees F, mid grade 89 octane would be my fuel of choice. Once the temp gets warmer, and especially when it's A/C season, then 93 premium.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I haven’t read my manual in a long long time, but I thought the wording was Premium only?

I’m guilty of using premium on cars that require 87, so it was 91 all the way for my smart when I had it. 91 is as high as it goes here for most/almost all stations.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I ran 87 for 20k miles and still occasionally dabble in getting 89 when the price of Premium is a dollar more than 87 (usually it's around 30-40 cents more, but some stations like to charge much more). The car's nearing 150k miles and runs like new, even after lugging around heavy trailers for over a year.

I wouldn't say to only use 87, but filling up with 87 or 89 every once in a while will not kill your car.

Also, as there are lots of folks who swear by 87 and have high mileage smarts that basically have never seen Premium, what fuel one uses simply cannot be the only factor to burned valves. Shoot, there are people who swore by 93 and still had their engines burn up.

Again, I'm not saying to use 87, but if you're passing through the middle of nowhere and see nothing but 87, don't sweat it.

If you're a 450 or 453 owner you should be using premium, no exceptions. The 450's engine is fragile enough as is and the 453's engine dumps in extra fuel for cooling under boost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It really depends on you. If you don’t ask a lot of the car, the knock sensor will keep you well within safe timing on 87. I thoroughly enjoy my car. High revs and engine braking, etc. I’m not trying to break it, but I don’t baby it. I run 92 ethanol free Cenex gas. I may not need to, but a little more power, and a lot of peace of mind are worth it for 1 or 2 more dollars per tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wasting your money. I have an '08 451 with 70k and I have always used cheap unleaded. No problems ever - even with emissions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts