Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went to look for few cars this weekend. I was very excited about the Smart, because of the price but I was not aware of the $90 monthly payment for the battery.
I was about to buy a Smart for two electric 2014 that was selling for $6000. The problem was when the guy told me that I need to pay $90 per month for the battery rent\maintenance\etc. After that I decided to think a little bit more about it.

For the Smart I will be paying $6000 plus a kind of lease of $90 per month. In about 3 to 4 years will be spending on that car the same amount that I can buy a Fiat 500e, that is about $10,000, for that same year. For a 2015 Fiat 500e some places are asking for 11,500 while the Smart 2015 is around $8000.
The Fiat have also a better quality (inside at least), with leather, nice looking dashboard, etc.

What is the advantage of buying an Smart Electric, am I missing anything here?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
What is the advantage of buying an Smart Electric, am I missing anything here?
Umm, it's not a Fiat?

Fiat does not offer a cabrio version of their EV?

Not all ED's are created equal. Ours has leather and several other options. Choices include sled + battery or ED complete. With the BAP rental you essentially extend the battery pack warranty against storage loss to 10 years.

Also may be more "resale" ED choices out in the wild as the Fiat EV was limited to certain CARB states?

And, welcome to SCoA!

·
Super Moderator
29,024 Posts
Just my .02 - the smart is a smart; the Fiat isn't. Drive them both and see which one works for you. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
The whole BAP monthly payment thing is what chased me away from buying a used smart ED. As much as i love smart(i have owned a 2008,2009,2012, and currently own a 2013 Iceshine edition), the NIssan Leaf and Fiat 500E are better deals. I was on the verge of buying a 2015 Leaf with 20K miles on it for $10K. The entire market for EV's is depressed right now, and great deals are everywhere. The $80 BAP payment really makes it difficult to justify buying the smart ED. I have watched the same used smarts sell over and over again on Ebay, purchased by unsuslecting people who find out about the BAP after they win the auction, then decide to walk away from the deal.
BTW, i ended up deciding a hybrid was a better option for me than a full EV.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
Most off-lease MBFS ED resales are sled + BAP. Taking that approach reduces the lease basis by $5k but adds the $80 monthly battery pack rental.

Such an "arrangement" can create an artificially low resale, as Blackbelt has suggested +BAP "surprise" can be a deal buster...

In my opinion, EV resales are not depressed as much as the various "incentives" have muddied the water.

Nissan has bought down the lease residuals on some Leafs so as to encourage lease end buyouts.

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Two comments:

1. You didn't say if it was a new or a used Smart. If new (unlikely at that price), then with the $7500 federal tax credit of which you can use $6000, the car is free. OTOH, you can find some brand new Smart EV's for well under $10K after the tax credit and you won't have the battery monthly payment.

2. I was initially planning to lease my Smart and do the monthly battery plan, but the Smart lease program had expired for my car, so I bought it. I rationalized it that if Smart was willing to warrant the battery for ten years, then I ought to be safe for at least the four year warranty period and hopefully much longer, especially since I have seen very few forum members have any battery issues.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
IMO the BAP gives peace of mind that you will have a good battery for up to 10 years.
Some choose to rent the (often said to cost new, $20,000+) battery pack because the technology had been evolving.

BAP allows that should technology evolve, owners can switch their contract to the new battery pack without any change in term or rate.

Plus prepaid annual maintenance costs with the assurance that if efficiency drops below 80% the pack will be replaced.

For those intending to keep ED 10 years, it's good to have choices . . .

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
True, but in that 10 year period you will have spent $9600 on BAP payments, which would probably be enough to buy 2 battery packs.
Fuzzy math - you left out the $5,100 discount off ED's sticker price when you opt for BAP.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The cost of a replacement battery pack is a lot higher than $4800 - more like $20K (its on a thread here somewhere) Of course, presumably a single bad cell or module could be replaced - but that that probably entails having the whole pack assembly shipped back to Europe.

The main reason that the BAP is not a good value is that it is unneeded insurance. With a little care, the chance of needing a pack replacement over 10 to 20 years of use is remote.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nissans list price for the 24KwH battery for the Leaf is $5499. By the time any smart could be needing a battery replacement, the cost will have dropped. But as Yinzer said, the batteries are not going to just suddenly fail and stop working. With proper care and charging schemes the battery could easily retain at least 80% of it's capacity for 10 years.
As long as people continue to buy electric vehicles, the aftermarket will continue to evolve and supply parts, including new or rebuilt battery packs.
MB DNA, as to fuzzy math, i wasn't counting the discount because I was mostly discussing used EV;s. If i buy a used one, i pay the market price for the car. If the market price for a Leaf is $9K, the market price for a 500E is $94K, and the market price for a smart ED with BAP is $8K (these are all current vehicles for sale), then the smart eds up costing more than the other 2 after only one year.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The LEAF battery packs are considerably cheaper. The quoted price for a Smart pack from MB is up in the 5-digits.

I am a member of a 2-wheel EV forum and many owners of the now-defunct Vectrix are replacing the 120V packs of their Vectrix Scooters with LEAF cell modules which can be bought for considerably cheaper than even the Chinese cells in my scooter. BTW, the Chinese cells have not gone down in price at all in at least 6 years. Replacing the 72V 60AH pack (24 cells) will still cost about $2300. My hopes for a lithium battery version of Moore's law has not materialized.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Leaf is the only electric that has really had problems with battery degradation, and that is because they insist on a passive cooling system for their battery packs. The best estimates now for the lifespan of an electric vehicle battery pack is in decades: decades. If the vehicle has an adequate cooling system, which the Smart does.
Also, all Smart EDs bought off lease are not tied to the battery lease plan. The first Smart Ed I looked at was, so I passed it by. The next day I found a 2014 ED with 10k miles on it, no battery lease entanglement, for $8,000. I bought it and, 1500 miles later, am still loving the heck out of it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
But the Chevrolet Volt isn't really an electric car, is it? Not to start a flame war here, but the whole idea of an electric car, for me and many others, is to get away from the noise, smell, expensive maintenance and ecological damage of a fossil fuel burning car.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yeah, but assuming that you dont want to own a second car just for longer trips, the Chevy Volt is a very good concept. The only other alternative is renting a car for the occasional long trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts