Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2014 Smart for 2 ED. I want to change the 12v battery as I think it's within a year of it's useful life. I don't want to deal with a dead car.
The MB part number is 451 982 00 08. Has anyone figured out a more easily available battery that's a direct replacement with the vent hole on the correct side etc.?
I see a group 47 might work.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
I just did a search for the part number and came up with this dealer who lists the battery for $138 with free shipping. I did not go all the way through the ordering process, because I wasn't about to put my credit card number in to complete the order. It did however say that shipping was free on the screen just before completing your order. I am guessing that there is a glitch in the part on their site, but it might be worth checking? A Google search brings up numerous dealers where you can get the correct battery.

Len

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks len-
I came to the same conclusions. And although the group 47 battery would work, it's not physically identical. I think visiting the dealer is the best answer.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
It looks like MSRP on that battery is $169. That's not a terrible price. Keep in mind that many dealers give a discount to veterans, MBCA club members, etc. I seem to recall when I was researching this battery part number that an actual Mercedes model or two used the same battery. If that's the case, then any Mercedes dealer should be able to get it whether they ever sold Smarts or not.

Len

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed a group 47 battery. Had to bend the hold down bracket a bit but it all seems to work just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts