Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the daytime i have an extremely hard time trying to read the lower info screen. granted i have a very light tint on my windows but even with them down i still have a hard time reading the info. has anyone else encountered this and what if anything did you do about it.

i was thinking of mounting 2 white leds shining on the info center....any thoughts

as usual any of you deciding to accept this mission will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
729 Posts
Are you talking about the one on the cluster? If so, it should be backlit. While the car is on, tap the right cluster button. That is the dimmer switch. See if it brightens up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Irrelevant comment #753 :
At least, probably irrelevant, I have trouble reading it too. But I'm short and my problem is I have to lean forward to see beyond the steering wheel, LOL.

Where's that steering wheel tilt lever?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes the one in the instrument cluster with clock, fuel gauge etc. the backlit is on as bright as it will go.

thanks for responding guess no one else had this problem so guess i will find a fix myself

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the one in the instrument cluster with clock, fuel gauge etc. the backlit is on as bright as it will go.

thanks for responding guess no one else had this problem so guess i will find a fix myself

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Yes, this can be an issue. I lived with it on my 451. Don't have a solution for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting problem. Just now reading this post, I haven't tested my theory. However, I have a motorcycle with an LCD display that I cannot read during the day with polarized sunglasses. Just a thought.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup thats what i have to do too....lean forward and squint like crazy.

i do wear polarized glasses and hadn't thought of that. can't take my glasses off to test it cause then i couldn't even see the cluster at all

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Just a crazy thought, but what if you went to like a bookstore and buy one of those plastic sheets that you lay over a page of a book to magnify it. You could cut it to fit over the display and maybe space it farther away or very close to get it in a range of focus that you could see the display without squinting or leaning forward. Maybe even Walmart or Office depot have them. I carry a credit card sized one in my billfold because I only have sight in one eye and was born that way. I've tried bi-focals, trifocals and no line glasses and know how you feel. I can no longer see to solder intricate wires or circuit boards in focus without a some sort of bright light to illuminate. DCO

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Just a crazy thought, but what if you went to like a bookstore and buy one of those plastic sheets that you lay over a page of a book to magnify it. You could cut it to fit over the display and maybe space it farther away or very close to get it in a range of focus that you could see the display without squinting or leaning forward. Maybe even Walmart or Office depot have them. I carry a credit card sized one in my billfold because I only have sight in one eye and was born that way. I've tried bi-focals, trifocals and no line glasses and know how you feel. I can no longer see to solder intricate wires or circuit boards in focus without a some sort of bright light to illuminate. DCO
Think he just found out that it's due to his polarized glasses. They do tend to cause issues seeing displays. I know i used to have that issue with the one pair of glasses I had that had sunglasses that would attach to the front.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
you aew correct. today i went out the sun was at my back and i could see the info panel then when i turned into the sun it disappeared. it is the polarized glasses

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,979 Posts
Try tilting your head to the right or left.
My 09 goes lite and dark depending which way I tilt.
I have the same problem with ATM's wearing my polarized glasses...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts