Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Dear Smart owners..

I have a passion cab. and I live in San Diego.

For the last one week, my convertible is set down and there is a direct sun light to the interior of the car.

Now the passenger floor carpet (no floor mat) started to change shape....

I can easily see the white edge on both side of the carpet and the metal frame showed up after the carpet is shrinked.

What should I do? Anyone else have the same problem?

Luke

Dear Smart owners..

I have a passion cab. and I live in San Diego.

For the last one week, my convertible is set down and there is a direct sun light to the interior of the car.

Now the passenger floor carpet (no floor mat) started to change shape....

I can easily see the white edge on both side of the carpet and the metal frame showed up after the carpet is shrinked.

What should I do? Anyone else have the same problem?

Luke

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
an other owner was complaining about this before.
the tridion shows when all is normal, are the edges turning up?
karl

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
That's right, Karl,
Someone had a curling issue earlier this year, the carpet was shrinking and the tridion did show. It seems to me that the dealership was taking the issue into consideration for a possible warranty exchange. I don't remember if we ever learned the end of the story, though. (Couldn't find the original post with "search", must have been somewhat hidden)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
A picture can be worth...

This
shot is of my coupe but you can see a section of the tridion is exposed
hope that helps
karl

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, it was Westfield. He showed it to us at the Rose Bowl meet. The thing is he and his wife both got a smart and both were having the problem. Never heard a resolution but you might want to PM him to find out. Good luck and please keep us all posted.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yes, it was Westfield. He showed it to us at the Rose Bowl meet. The thing is he and his wife both got a smart and both were having the problem. Never heard a resolution but you might want to PM him to find out. Good luck and please keep us all posted.
is the carpet like the right side of the picture above or somthing else?
can you post a picture?
karl
I belive mine looks like all the others perhaps not hoovered to the most exacting standard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped my car to the dealer. They agree the problem with my carpet. The carpet is actually shrinking. Now It wont cover my entire floor already. The gap between the carpet and the right side frame is very big.

The problem is they dont have a replacement for a short time.

Should I ask them to swap it with their test drive car?

·
Registered
181 Posts
shrinking without water?

is it that there is excessive heat that is causing this?

did the dealer offer up any understanding/reasoning on why this would happen?

what is the backing on this carpet?

what color is the carpet?

if all the cars used the same stuff, swapping car with another may result in suffering this issue once again?

(forget about checking fluid levels, dashing off to take a closer look at how much carpet level is left) :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got back from dealer... they said it is caused by some sort of chemical. They dont cover them under warrenty. The parts and labor cost $590 dollars...

Should i file a lemon law?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Got back from dealer... they said it is caused by some sort of chemical. They dont cover them under warrenty. The parts and labor cost $590 dollars...

Should i file a lemon law?
Unless CA has some rather liberal laws, lemon lawing this isn't an option.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Yeah, I would really like to know as well. Perhaps we can bring the issue to light here at SCOA and see about getting this fixed for everyone.

So far all I can say about the chemical that smart USA seems to be addressing is that something smells fishy!

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Be sure to get a sample of the carpet before your dealership replaces it. Make sure your service manager sees or at least hears that you have a sample of the carpet, at least a 1' square where you and they suspecct the chemical to have been spilled. Tell them you are sending it to an independant lab for testing and watch for a response. What is your insurance deductable? If you didn't do it, perhaps the dealer used something to clean your carpet prior to delivery? Either way, put them on notice you are not accepting the situation. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called Smart Car of America several times...... now the dealer called me and offered me the free repair for my carpet. However the part will not be instock in a week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts