Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone in this amazing forum!

Im going try to speak the best of my abilities. ( i speak french,Portuguese and spanish, just lil of english)

recently i brought an brabus 2009 cabrio with only 2009..
The car runs great and is in good condition whoever Today i fully inspect the top and i found a problem..

i want to mention the top close and open good but the top have a problem with the right side .... check the pics below...( the left side of the top is good)

The top can fully close but is leaking a little bit of water from the right side..

question.
1. i have to buy another top?
2. i can fix that problem?
3. what recommendation you can give me?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same problem. My local dealer says to replace the side rails. I really don't think that will work. I think the cables inside the top are stretched but they don't seem to know how to get new ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem. My local dealer says to replace the side rails. I really don't think that will work. I think the cables inside the top are stretched but they don't seem to know how to get new ones.
Really? i think i was the only 1 with that problem...

**went it rains you get leak a little leak from the side?
you have an smart brabus or passion ?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Mine looks something like that. No leaks yet.

Sorry to hear you've got this problem. Likely some of the Pros from the forum will be online in the next several hours and they will be more help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mine looks something like that. No leaks yet.

Sorry to hear you've got this problem. Likely some of the Pros from the forum will be online in the next several hours and they will be more help.

Good luck.
Thanks alot for let me know .
so we already have 3 people with the same problem..

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I first noticed this on another smarty's passion cabrio. I do not know if his leaks. Mine has now developed the same creep inwards as if the top is shrinking and pulling towards the middle of the car. The top is stretched taught from front to back, therefore the ribs with the ultrasonic welding of the top to the horizontal ribs is the only thing that keeps the top taught width-wise.
If there is a fix or method to stretch the top width-wise to it's original width, I too would like to hear it. Mine is not leaking yet. Mine is an 09 Brabus, with 35k miles.
I've imagined that clamping the edge with a number of Tarp clamps attached to a frame I will have to create and possibly steaming the sides of the top might relax the top and may allow stretching of the top back to it's full width. I would allow a frame member for each rib of the top. How this would work and whether it would be successful or not, remains to be seen. I have at least contemplated the problem, and it's correction. :D
I am certainly open to a simpler fix. The last thing any of us want to do is shred or tear the top. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The top can fully close but is leaking a little bit of water from the right side..

question.
1. i have to buy another top? - perhaps?
2. i can fix that problem? - potentially very complex
3. what recommendation you can give me?
i want to know , whats really going on with my convertible top?. Help
Welcome to SCoA, :welcome: interesting (STABBED BY GIRL?) "handle."

After 6 years of cabrio ownership, personally no such "problem" although over the years the top seems to be taking on a bit of an hourglass figure?

All Brabus versions are first built as a Passion thus the cabrio fabric top, plastic rails, struts and cables will be the same for ALL smart 451's.

This IS NOT a do it yourself project and will be very difficult to completely diagnose over any Forum internet exchange.

The complexity of the top mechanism is such that unless you are mechanically inclined and VERY BRAVE this is something that will be best left to a local automotive upholstery/convertible top shop expert and may be expensive?

Good luck and do keep us posted as you search for a solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to SCoA, :welcome: interesting (STABBED BY GIRL?) "handle."

After 6 years of cabrio ownership, personally no such "problem" although over the years the top seems to be taking on a bit of an hourglass figure?

All Brabus versions are first built as a Passion thus the cabrio fabric top, plastic rails, struts and cables will be the same for ALL smart 451's.

This IS NOT a do it yourself project and will be very difficult to completely diagnose over any Forum internet exchange.

The complexity of the top mechanism is such that unless you are mechanically inclined and VERY BRAVE this is something that will be best left to a local automotive upholstery/convertible top shop expert and may be expensive?

Good luck and do keep us posted as you search for a solution.
Thanks a lot for your recommendation and opinion ..
well im going keep driving my car like that.. i just love the car,it handles like a real car... Brabus trim level is the way to go...

This is my daily driven car...
my week ends car is a Mustang GT 2013 brembo track pack... :")..
Soon im going post some pics of my brabus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts