Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the MDC cruse installed for a year or so and it has always worked okay, until now.

I drive my smart mostly in town, but a few days ago I was on a turnpike and I tried to set the cruse, but no luck. Just got a flashing red light on the indicator. Tried it several times.

Has anyone with the MDC had the same type problem? It is really a job to get to the control box and check for loose wires.

Any info would be great.

Jim

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
MDC Cruise Control Concers:

Firstly, I would pull the instrument cluster out and ck. the connector, to make sure it hasn't pulled loose. If you follow the wire, I believe the module is behind the center stack in front of the cup holders. The connector could have come loose there, also. If you don't have the instruction booklet for the MDC, you can contact Smartmadness and have them send one to you. I would also pick their brain about what could be wrong with yours. It is usually either a loose connector or a module. The other place to look would be the wiper switch.

Hope you get it resolved and report back on what you found.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I remember when I installed it that is where I put the module and the rest of it. I figured that I would need to get into it.

The open door warning still works and the other lights. I will check with Smart madness to see if they have any ideas.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
One of the most common problems when installing the MDC cruise control is getting the tie wraps tight enough inside the box where they act as a strain relief on the cables.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
From the painful experience of multiple reinstalls, MDC stands for My Damn Cruise.

Solution to that miserable slip fit connection, Area 451 CC.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
One of the most common problems when installing the MDC cruise control is getting the tie wraps tight enough inside the box where they act as a strain relief on the cables.
Connection down by the gas peddle seems to give the most trouble...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate you guys input. It has been raining today and I tried the CC again and now it works. Will have to wait unlil we have a dry spell and try it again.

Jim

·
Registered
946 Posts
The cabling running to the throttle pedal seems to be about three inches too short for a perfect installation. Since it pulls on that one connector on the circuit board that is poorly anchored, you have to be very careful when slipping the box containing the board up into its resting place.

We were particularly careful once the problem was noted, and it never troubled us in the three or four years that we owned the unit.

Oh, and the instruction sheet for the installation isn't written all that well. Nor, for that matter, are the operating instructions...

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
That's why I had smart madness install my MDC cruise. The tech showed me how careful he had to be with the wires at the pedal. He used a couple of small zip ties down there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After testing it more, I have found that I was not holding the button in long enough! I was just bumping it and it would flash red, by holding it in a second or two it now does seem to work all the time.

I did not go back and monkey with the box, it was hard enough getting it installed in the first place. At 6'2" and 275 it is rather hard working below the IP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts