Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right area, if not, can some direct me where to go.
I'm at a loss. I have a 2014 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive. My A/C is weak so I went to recharge it, but the valve is in such an inconvenient place. My wife and I have both scratched and bruised our arms trying to reach down to place the hose in place, and can't even get the hose to attach due to bad angles and working in such a cramped space. I've looked at a few videos and every one I've seen has more space than my car does. In my car, I have a little black box that seems to be taking up a chunk of space that I haven't seen in the videos.
I'll try to attach pictures if this forum will let me.
Is there a way to temporarily remove this black box, or is there another way to reach the low pressure valve?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum!

Right off the bat I just want you to verify you have the proper freon with correct oil additive? There should be a sticker somewhere that notes this I believe.

Wish I could give advice on how to reach it. (I'd probably ask a kid riding his/her bike if it weren't for COVID)...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure we have the right one.
We already had a family member with smaller hands/arms to help us, but oddly enough I had better success than they did. I've been able to line up the nozzle, but can't pull back the... latch? lock? seal? either way, I can't pull it back, and push the nozzle onto the valve at the same time.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well, I can say from experience that they usually press on without the need to pull back on the locking mechanism.

I'm afraid this won't help you to pull back on the lock to remove it though. (Caution)!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum!

Right off the bat I .......
Wish I could give advice on how to reach it. (I'd probably ask a kid riding his/her bike if it weren't for COVID)...

Forget about covid.
Not a good thing to do. No one wants to visit you in jail, no matter how innocent your request. Sadly you can't even say "Hi" to a kid now a days without someone misconstruing your intentions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As near as I can tell from reading the manual (digital, that is), that box that is in your way is the vehicle sound generator. I am attaching a snapshot from the manual. From what the manual seems to say, you have to remove a lot of other stuff to get it out of the way (but the manual is super confusing).

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went through this on my smart(though mine is gas) it’s still a tight spot to get to.
You may have to remove the front panels to get to it since yours is a electric and has that sound generator in the way of the ports.
Good luck as it sucks without ac when it’s hot weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts