Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2008 Smart Fortwo. For the last couple of months I´ve been having problems starting my car. It´s like it tries to start but gets stuck... Something weird and difficult to explain.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thank you all!!!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
What do you mean, It gets stuck. Turns over and over but never fires? Gotta have three things, compression, spark, and fuel (injection) If the injectors are turned off, you have no fuel. Spark could be turned off or problems with coil packs or plugs, usually not all together at one time, unless done so by the computer. Crank position sensor is usually not intermittent. If it goes, Kheran can tell you. I don't remember if it cranks and no fire or just won't crank. One of the two. We've seen another one with wires pinched between the tank and the frame that wouldn't pump fuel. They replaced the pump three times before they found the pinched wires. He's still mad about it. :D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Crank position sensor is usually not intermittent. If it goes, Kheran can tell you. I don't remember if it cranks and no fire or just won't crank. One of the two.
Car won't crank at all when the Crank sensor goes on vacation.....:D
It gives you the impression that someone stole the starter right out of the car and leaves you very stranded. Don't ask me how I know.:laugh:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had a slow crank on and off for a few days then we took off for Iowa Rally. I Installed new exhaust the week before and was also getting s smell in the cabin and figured it was exhaust. Nope was not exhaust as the accessory wire was loose on the battery and the loose cable was just about on fire. If its a slow crank could be bad battery or connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello. Thank you for your reply. The forum does not let me upload a link since I´m a new member. If you search on YouTube for "Video 22 08 14 8 25 08 a m", it will come up.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
OOOOOOOHHHHH! Dave
What a beautiful display complete with temp. gauge.
and the big bad wolf said: "All the better to warn you with my dear".
Eat your heart out 'mericans.
Most of us would love to have a real temp. guage instead of an idiot light that announces your engine has died due to an overtemp condition.
I remember my Bosses' old Olds that would warn with a flashing yellow light when it was getting too warm. You simply turned on the heater in the mountains where it would happen, and all was okay.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Looks like you may have a loose connection at the battery, the starter or engine ground.
That is evident by the end of the video where your dash cluster lights dim badly. However, I wouldn't rule out a weak cell in the battery itself.

You may want to climb under the car and find each and every water tight electrical plug, especially the crank position sensor (which is located near your oil filter) and open them up and squirt some Dielectric grease in them and reassemble. It's worked for some here and is an old Fiat trick....

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
So, it turns over but just won't fire, initially. On the second try, it turns over and fires off momentarily.
The questions to be solved would be, are you getting fuel injection pulses during the first crank, and are you getting spark. Either could be inhibited by the computer. You might not have fuel pressure initially either, but doubt it. It starts strongly once it fires.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Looks like you may have a loose connection at the battery, the starter or engine ground.
That is evident by the end of the video where your dash cluster lights dim badly. However, I wouldn't rule out a weak cell in the battery itself.

Nicely played, Kheran
Especially if it is an 08 with the original battery.
Some of us upgraded the ground strap with a more robust cable, as well.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That would make it over 6 years old....(Don't remind me as mine is 5 now)

+1 definitely on the ground cable. (Future project for me as well)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies. I´ll take a look at your recommendations. Best wishes.

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts