Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a SILA exhaust less than two years ago from my local mods shop. Took it in a couple days ago w/ a little problem, a giant hole on the back side! eeeeek.

My impression was that I was not the only person w/ this problem. Anyone have a story to tell?

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
How did the hole get there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is the dealer offering an explanation: youtu.be/f36iTi8CVaM -- it was installed up inside the smart car, so it was not: rock, whatever ...

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
Hmmm...where I live salt is heavily used in winter so seeing gaping holes in relatively new mufflers is nothing new to me...However, as you say in the video, your car isn't exposed to such conditions...

That's very odd...Looks almost as if it rusted inside out! :confused:

My stainless steel Genius Exhaust still looks new save for some dirt and slight wear on the exhaust tip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, it was not. as they explained in the vid that is how they make them now, but not back when we purchased. that said, the website said they have a two year warranty.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Many short trips, not letting the exhaust get to full temperature will rust it out from the inside. Never gets hot enough to evaporate the condensation from cold starts. Water sits inside the muffler where it is raw steel and rust happens very quickly. Better to run it on the fwy for 10-15 minutes minimum. Get up to full temp and all the condensation out before shutting it off. If this isn't possible, then an all stainless system will last longer. It will come at a cost though. Expect to pay way more. The stock muffler is more restrictive and gets hot quicker than a free flowing muffler, hence it is better at burning the condensation out in shorter distances. Just watch the exhaust pipes of the cars in front of you at the stoplights early in the morning. They are cold and when the light turns green, water will pour out of the pipe as it takes off.

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
That and you want your engine to get up to running temp before shutting down. Never allowing it to get to running temp might cause more than just exhaust issues in the future.

At least you don't have a DTH exhaust :eek:

·
Super Moderator
29,387 Posts
FWIW, the SILA exhaust Smart Madness offers now uses stainless steel Magnaflow mufflers but only comes with a one year warranty. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts