Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Smart. In 2014, my secondary air pump required replacing. Within a couple of weeks of that replacement, it required being replaced under warranty for a defective air pump. Now, less than 2 years later (and annoyingly not under warranty), my secondary air pump is requiring being replaced again.

I'm wondering if others have had so many issues with their secondary air pumps. Seems a bit frequent for a car even if it is 7 years old. I'm literally on my 4th secondary air pump now.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
That sounds unusual - don't think anyone else has posted similar issues. You might try a PM to Keith (smartAPM) and let him know the problem; maybe he can help from the smart USA end. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have replaced one on my 2008 and I am currently in need to replace that one. I bought the first replacement from a junkyard. Mine has stopped working altogether so at least I don't have that crazy loud noise to listen to. I have already bought a replacement but I am in no hurry to install. I will need to get this done before state inspection.
So counting the original, this will be my third.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
With multiple failures of the Secondary Air Injection Pump I would be concerned there is something else going on. For example, if the switching valve mounted on the rear of the cylinder head fails to seal it can allow exhaust gases to feed back into the air pump when it is not running. Not good for the air pump. In other words, I would make sure the rest of the Secondary Air Injection System is working as designed before I replace the air pump.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I replaced my S.A.I.P under warranty in '09 on my '09 and had the same problem this April. Instead of getting it fixed I traded it on a '16

1 - 6 of 6 Posts