Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK… like everyone here I’m excited to get the car and know it will be a blast to own. But to be honest, the thought of reselling the car at a nice profit has crossed my mind. I wonder what I could get for it by placing a national ad, putting it on EBay, or the like. 10% markup? 25% markup? 50% markup? Again, just something that has crossed my mind (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good luck,

I put 37,000 in 20 months on my Civic Hybrid and sold the thing for $2500 less than what I bought it new. Not bad, $125/month usage fee.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too have 'thought' about it, not to say I would actually do it but I would say a good 20% is possible, maybe more in the hot spots like LA, NY, etc

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are lucky you might fetch 20% over sticker (about $3000).

But remember that on top of the sticker you will be paying Tax, Title, Lic etc., on the car BEFORE you resell, add that to the total cost of the car, then add eBay commissions, Insurance (pro-rated) - it sure eats up the ($3000) margin quick.

With this car - every tire kicker in the world will want a test drive. Im pretty sure you can make a few bucks, but someone else will be driving your smart and will the margin be worth your time?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts