Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: have a 2018 453 EQ Passion. Bought a level 2 Charge point station for home charging.
Charger works as expected except when I use the app to program delayed overnight charging.
I program the charger to start charging at 7 p.m. to utilize cheaper electricity rates. I come home and plug the car in at say 6 p.m.
Along comes 7 and nothing happens. The Smart seems to go to sleep after a few minutes of getting out of the car and does not wake up when the charger attempts to charge. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? The wifi link to the charger is fine and I can access the charger via the app anytime. When not using the program delay, the charger works fine as long as I open a door to wake the car up, otherwise plugging into a sleeping car does nothing.
Thanks for any advice, the manual does not seem to have anything on this issue that I could find.
Does not bode well for maintaining the battery during storage for longer periods either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all: have a 2018 453 EQ Passion. Bought a level 2 Charge point station for home charging.
Charger works as expected except when I use the app to program delayed overnight charging.
I program the charger to start charging at 7 p.m. to utilize cheaper electricity rates. I come home and plug the car in at say 6 p.m.
Along comes 7 and nothing happens. The Smart seems to go to sleep after a few minutes of getting out of the car and does not wake up when the charger attempts to charge. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? The wifi link to the charger is fine and I can access the charger via the app anytime. When not using the program delay, the charger works fine as long as I open a door to wake the car up, otherwise plugging into a sleeping car does nothing.
Thanks for any advice, the manual does not seem to have anything on this issue that I could find.
Does not bode well for maintaining the battery during storage for longer periods either.
Hey, I'm encountering the same issue. I program charging hours with my charger, but the car won't start charging unless opened with the keyfob or by opening the door.

Did you find a solution for this? Electricity is way cheaper at night where I live.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lithium batteries self-discharge is practically nil during storage. The 12V lead-acid battery does need to be maintained, and in the 451 ED's there is a bug that destroys the HV battery if the 12V battery slowly discharges flat. The trouble is, in the 451, plugging the car in for HV charging did not necessarily maintain the 12V battery anyway. The only storage solution is to either disconnect the 12V battery or connect a 12V maintenance charger to it.

I don't know how much of this applies to the 453 EQ, however.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not as deep in the 453 functions, but what happens when you just plug on the car after let's say 1h with ignition off and no knob pushed. Means the car is in standby? Would it start charging?
Maybe the wallbox not trigger anymore this functionality and a easy additional relay for the other signals could help already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not as deep in the 453 functions, but what happens when you just plug on the car after let's say 1h with ignition off and no knob pushed. Means the car is in standby? Would it start charging?
Maybe the wallbox not trigger anymore this functionality and a easy additional relay for the other signals could help already.
Exactly. If left for some time, the 453 goes into a "sleep" state, pluging in the V1 charger won't start any charging process.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
This is maybe a dumb question, but you are sure you are accidentally programming it for 7AM, right? I have made this mistake a couple times on the "charge, and [preheat before] depart" function (only the preheat/precool function works for some reason) on the ED. I changed the clock to 24 hour time to avoid this mistake. For delayed charging, I have a delayed charging function on my EVSE (wallbox).

·
Registered
219 Posts
As i understand dontic, he is not talking about 451 ED3 but 453 EQ and also not about the function from the car but of the timing function of the wallbox.

His main concern is about a delayed start is not trigger a charge.
This was the reason i ask if a sleeping car get awake when you plug in the Type 2 connector? I thought yes but as dontic wrote this is not the case for 453 EQ. So the car is not waking up again and start charging.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As i understand dontic, he is not talking about 451 ED3 but 453 EQ and also not about the function from the car but of the timing function of the wallbox.

His main concern is about a delayed start is not trigger a charge.
This was the reason i ask if a sleeping car get awake when you plug in the Type 2 connector? I thought yes but as dontic wrote this is not the case for 453 EQ. So the car is not waking up again and start charging.
OK, I did not read the original post carefully enough. With my Open EVSE kit-built wallbox ("EVSE" in N. America), and a 451ED, if I set the box for for charging to start at a certain time,and plug it in, I will hear some clicks as the car "acknowledges" the pilot signal and signals "ready to charge". It will then stay in ready to charge mode indefinitely until the EVSE turns on the power. I can't imagine the EQ not being designed to work similarly.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
494 Posts
I wonder if this behavior is related to the smartcharge, where the car talks to the utility and doesn't charge until rates are low. Requires an EVSE that interfaces with the utility. I've not tried it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't think so as i don't believe the necessary configuration is ever done by somebody in the US.
There were some tests done in Germany on this feature with prototype version on the standard. But never heard about in real application. We will see.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,172 Posts
Well the OP by Hobiecat was made 11 months ago with no updates? Hopefully he called ChargePoint and all is well…

Here’s a side thread by Hobiecat…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.