Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the buyer beware . . .

With some of our recent experiences with bricked 451 ED's, here is a $11,995 MY17 453 with only 900 miles that at first glance might catch your eye?

But after drilling down into some background (eBay, dealer description and CarFax) you might find it to be a FL Lemon Law vehicle being resold in NJ that has been on the market for 169 days and allegedly there is a "Sale Pending."

The fine print . . .

"Please note that back in December, Mercedes Benz USA reacquired this vehicle due to a customer complaint stating no start due to battery drainage. Mercedes completely resolved this issue under warranty and the issue no longer exists. Regardless, in the interest of customer satisfaction Mercedes agreed to repurchase the vehicle. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE AS THE FACTORY WARRANTY IS STILL INTACT! We have all the documentation from Mercedes Benz USA on file. The vehicle is simply like new! This is an excellent opportunity to save thousands! Don't hesitate or you will surely miss out!"

https://www.automotiveavenuesnj.com...oupe-rear-wheel-drive-coupe-wmefj9ba9hk236049

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/llu/Documents/Vehicles-Branded-Under-The-New-Jersey-Lemon-Law.pdf

While it is said to have a factory warranty (which should be confirmed with M-B), the Branded Title is "Buyback/Lemon."

IMHO, asking price is at best high side as you are rolling the dice on this one . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
333 Posts
How can an ED car have the problem of "No Start"?
I do not believe the Smart electric cars are hybrids, no engine, at least that is what I thought!
Am I missing something here?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can an ED car have the problem of "No Start"?
I do not believe the Smart electric cars are hybrids, no engine, at least that is what I thought!
Am I missing something here?
Correct, a smart ED/EQ is an EV not a hybrid - no ICE engine only electric motor.

A dead HV/12V battery will leave you with a “no start” scenario when the “ignition” switch is turned on and nothing functions.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
Yeah, regarding "no start" with an EV, my understanding is that this can happen to all EVs, including Tesla. The 12V battery is separate from the high voltage (HV) traction battery that supplies drive power, but the 12V battery is needed to engage the contacts with the traction battery and run whatever electronics are needed to make sure that it's safe to engage the HV battery. If that's dead, no contacts close and therefore no traction battery power and you're dead in the water. Just like an ICE, make sure your EV's 12V battery is in good health!

From a safety perspective, if there is a malfunction and you need to rapidly disconnect the high voltage battery (which may have suffered from damage in an accident, malfunctioned, etc.), then you need a secondary power source for that also.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
"How can an ED car have the problem of "No Start"?
Am I missing something here?"

YES.

My vehicle battery died 6 months before the lease ended. The waiting period on 12/18 was 6-12 months for a replacement battery. MB treated my fairly and they picked up the last 6 months payment and gave me $1,500 in customer cash. Bricked batteries are a real thing ;-)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
In a bit of irony after posting in this thread, I got some weird messages on my Leaf and it would not go into gear and ended up being towed to the dealer. The dash was on, windows went up and down, etc. so the 12V was not my first guess.

Dealer looked and determined that one of the cells in the 12V had died and it was only putting out about 8V and some things would work, but the car was not happy and would not engage the HV battery. Created pages and pages of error codes all over the place. Replaced the 12V battery, cleared codes, and all was good.

Moral of the story is, if your EV is behaving strangely, check the 12V even if you have accessory power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts