Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been my understanding that Tesla is considering opening up their charging network for public use. Does anyone know the latest on that?

Also, apparently Teslas can charge just about anywhere. I pulled up to a free public charging station today and at one of the chargers, there sits a Tesla plugged in. He had some sort of adaptor between the charge head and the charge port on the car. Anyone have any idea if that works the other way? Can we charge at the Tesla stations if we have an adaptor of some sort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Charging interface standards are still in the betamax v. VHS phase. So there's a lot of interoperability issues out there.

In the US, most public stations support J1772, as do most cars (including our smarts). Then, there is a zoo of others, mostly to allow faster charging, none of which are compatible with J1772 or our cars:

Tesla supercharger
CHAdeMO
CSS
EN 62196 Typ 2

Some can be adapted. e.g. you can plug a J1772 plug into a Tesla using the adapter you saw. But not the other way 'round.

So no matter if Elon would allow it, you can't plug a Tesla superchager into your smart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of that. I'm learning a lot from you all. Second week of driving my smart and I only had it strand me once. Now I know.
Does anyone else's Smart stop running at 20%?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I need to get it in for service at the Smart Center some time. I'll have to get it in sooner than I thought. When it got down to 20% it gave me the reserve notice. But then I only got like maybe 5 miles out of it and it shut down. The gauge on the dash was around 18%. It still had power, it just wouldn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. After a few days of driving, the issue went away. In fact, just recently, I ran it all the way down to zero running up and down my street. I was pushing to see how far it would go. I kept running around until it finally shut down and I coasted in to my drive way. That was quite a bit after I hit the zero mark. Plus, I just got a clean bill of health at the Smart Center on my 20,000 mile check up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts